stickman007

450 EGR Emulator Request

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I've been getting a lot of request for EGR emulators lately. I wasn't planning to make more due to limited time, but I suppose I can just make a patch if there's enough interest.  Another thing I noticed is that some of them seems to fail at the 2-3 year mark. Even the PCB one that I purchased originally from pinhead failed eventually - I suppose he did mention that awhile back. I do not have the diagnostic ability to find out where or why. But if you're still interested in one from me, lets get a list going so that I can speed up the process. I've made an order on the components online, and they should arrive in 2 weeks time. My 3D printed connected has been posted on thingiverse for free for those who wants to print their own connector. For those how have purchased one from me previously that has failed, please contact me, and I will send you one at your own shipping expense.

Here's a pic of the DIY Wiring one that I had awhile back 

Izzy

DIY Wiring - $40 including shipping in Canada:

1)

2)

3)

Plug n Play (3D printed connector) - $90 including shipping in Canada:

1)

2)

3)

Edited by stickman007

4 hours ago, stickman007 said:

Hi guys, I've been getting a lot of request for EGR emulators lately. I wasn't planning to make more due to limited time, but I suppose I can just make a patch if there's enough interest.  Another thing I noticed is that some of them seems to fail at the 2-3 year mark. Even the PCB one that I purchased originally from pinhead failed eventually - I suppose he did mention that awhile back. I do not have the diagnostic ability to find out where or why. But if you're still interested in one from me, lets get a list going so that I can speed up the process. I've made an order on the components online, and they should arrive in 2 weeks time. My 3D printed connected has been posted on thingiverse for free for those who wants to print their own connector. For those how have purchased one from me previously that has failed, please contact me, and I will send you one at your own shipping expense.

Here's a pic of the DIY Wiring one that I had awhile back 

Izzy

DIY Wiring - $40 including shipping in Canada:

1)

2)

3)

Plug n Play (3D printed connector) - $90 including shipping in Canada:

1) Wendy Pros

2)

3)

Just fitting blanking plate and leaving EGR valve in place is much more reliable and a whole lot cheaper.

The main benefit I was told on this forum for fitting the emulator was it will last forever whilst EGR valve will wear out.  Not so according to numerous posts I have read.  The emulators burn out leaving the poor owner struggling getting home.

My advice is forget and bin those emulators, clean up your EGR valve and just blank off exhaust supply to the valve.

In terms of reliability, I definitely agree with you on this one. The reason why I use an emulator is I want to physically remove the stupid valve. I know I'm lazy, just didn't like the fact that the valve was in the way of working on the engine. In my experiences, a burnt out emulator will not leave the owner struggling to get home. It will put the car in limp mode which limits the rpm to under 3000rpm, and maybe the MIL.

I don't encourage people using my EGR emulators over blanking plate or eBay made ones, just providing another option.

Izzy

Edited by stickman007

Removing EGR valve creates another problem.  How to plumb intercooler outlet to inlet manifold.  Those solutions I have seen on here is not what I call elegant.

I thought mine was quite "elegant". A brass elbow in the coolant lines, a 90deg silicon elbow, a short section of aluminum tubing, and a blanking plate on the exhaust manifold. So much more room to work in there now.

I agree yours look rather professionally done.  Improved access is the only reason why I would consider fitting the cheater.  Got one but still looking for a suitable hose to connect between intercooler and inlet manifold.

Well if it helps, I used a 45mm ID 90deg silicon elbow, and 45mm ID by 150mm long aluminum intercooler tubing. The stock elbow from the top of the EGR to the intake manifold was reused. 

I don't have pics and don't have my car anymore, but I thought my final setup was pretty OEM looking.

I'm not sure what it is like over in the UK, but I remember seeing somewhere that you guys don't have the EGR cooler. Our Canadian 450 has 2 extra coolant hoses that goes to the EGR cooler. An often complain that I see is that one of the hose (the one that crosses the upper intake hose) rubs and ruptures as a result over time. I removed the entire setup. I know that in cold weather it does hurt the warm up time, but in my experiences, not enough to justify the complexity and potential issues.

1 person likes this

Parts came in on Friday.

I have more 3 emulators ready to go, sold 2 already. I can make approximately 5 more with the parts I have left.

The 3D printed ones are plug and play - has tabs to hold for zipties 

IMG_2110.JPG

1 person likes this

Just inserting a blanking plate and leaving the EGR valve in place exposes the car to another failure mode.

As the EGR solenoid moves there is a wiper rubbing on a resistive element which can provide incorrect information to the ECU through wear and bouncing. It is also my understanding that deposits can still occur on the EGR valve solenoid resulting from oil fumes from the PCV valve.

Regarding EGR emulators failing, it seems to me that a fault diagnosis should be discussed before "forgetting and binning those emulators".

Apart from oxidation on the connectors which can vary from unit to unit depending on the emulator's source, the only possible failure mechanism that I can see is the possible failure of the capacitor used in the circuit. The capacitor must be a Tantalum device to survive extremely cold temperatures. 

Edited by smartdriver
1 person likes this