steveyfrac

New Battery Costs

12 posts in this topic

I asked my service department,  if I had to replace the battery,  what would it cost?

The answer:   $11k.

I'm not sure if that's just parts, or parts and Labor.

In any case,  given that my 2.5 year old Smart ED is only worth about $13k now,  I think that means that a catastrophic battery failure means you write the car off.  It'll almost never make sense to replace the battery.  A new car is only $20k after Ontario rebates.

--Steve

That sounds similar for the diesels.

A rebuilt engine installed would run about $4500. A good running diesel can now be had for $3500.

When an engine fails, no one picks the rebuild.

Anyone else hoping to re-use the Smart battery cells in their own Power Wall -- when the car's driving life comes to an end.

I've read that the latest battery format is comprised of "pouches" which can be serviced or replaced individually, rather that replacing the entire battery pack when it becomes inefficient. That's a revolutionary development that should reduce the cost of batteries considerably.  

8 hours ago, smart65 said:

I've read that the latest battery format is comprised of "pouches" which can be serviced or replaced individually, rather that replacing the entire battery pack when it becomes inefficient. That's a revolutionary development that should reduce the cost of batteries considerably.  

This should be technologically feasible with our current battery pack.  Our current pack uses these type of pouches.  It's merely a question of if Smart will sell the individual cells,  and if the computer can tell which cells need to be replaced.  I've asked the service department about this as well, and they're going to get back to me.

8 hours ago, David_18 said:

The car life will end before the battery pack.. 

http://insideevs.com/200000-miles-tesla-model-s-experienced-6-battery-degradation/

This assume that what kills the battery is gradual degradation.  I've been straight up abusing my car for 2+ years, and my battery is essentially brand new at the 2 year mark.  Not worried at all about degradation.

However,  in the unlikely event of catastrophic failure,  like say,  the coolant loop,  or a cell bursts, or something like that.  If the battery can't be repaired,  the replacement cost means that you'll be tossing the car out, and buying a new one, as it'll be cheaper.

Edited by steveyfrac

13 minutes ago, David_18 said:

The battery have the same warranty that the car have ? 80k/4yr ?

Yup.  No extended warranty on the battery available either,  though I'm still waiting on official confirmation of that as well.

I'm looking at buying out my lease at the end,  which essentially means driving it out of warranty, more or less.

Sorry, I have to disagree about the length of the battery warranty at least for the 2017s...

That battery is comprised of 96 pouch cells, which can be replaced individually if need be; the warranty is eight years or 100,000 kilometers.

Edited by lebikerboy

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎03 at 9:42 PM, lebikerboy said:

Do you have a source for that?  My car is definitely 80k and four years.

I just saw some internal docs for the new 2017 Electric Drive and can confirm that the new warranty is 100k / 8 years...  Makes getting a new car more interesting.

On 02/12/2016 at 0:10 AM, steveyfrac said:

my 2.5 year old Smart ED is only worth about $13k now

Smart gave me an $8K trade in amount as an estimate for my 3 year old 451 Smart ED on the purchase of a new 453 Smart ED convertible.

$8K ...

Keeping this car.  It's worth way more than $8K to me!    One of the best cars I've ever owned, and will likely end up being my son's first car (he just got his G2 license) when I switch to a Tesla 3 in a few years time.