Nein7Oh

Fortwo 450 CDI in the US

33 posts in this topic

BTW tolsen, biodiesel is a solvent/cleaning agent. It will clean out the varnish and gunk from your fuel lines which can accumulate and clog your fuel filter. Im not saying that is what happened, but it has been known to happen which is why it is recommended to run one or the other and not switch back and forth too much. Also your 21% difference is a bit of an over estimation unless you have some really kick ass diesel in Scotland. All of the diesel here in the states is B10 in order to meet the ultra low sulfur requirements. The blend can fluctuate as high as B20 depending on what state you are in. Michigan has a B20 minimum.

Once upon a time, I was considering using biodiesel in my old Merc. At the time, it seemed the common wisdom was that bio would chew the seals.

Any truth to that?

Silver,

Yes biodiesel will dissolve rubber seals over time, so things like fuel pumps will eventually develop leaks unless it was built using a rubber designed to withstand that sort of thing. There is a common rubber called Viton and it has no issues with biodiesel. Of course I am not familiar with the setup of your mercedes engine. I have heard about a lot of people running b100 in older mercedes diesels with no issue. I don't know if they modified them first... they are just a common choice among biodiesel enthusiasts.

Also tolsen... http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fuel_comparison_chart.pdf according to this, it is contains about 7% less energy which is the number I was aware of.

Those old Mercs are long gone. I got a buck and a quarter for the '87 300d. It had rotted out. The '83 300d was one of the least complicated, solid tanks I have ever owned. At 250k km it felt more solid than my GLK 250d at 30k.km.I think I'll take Mike advice and just  get a Corolla.

4 hours ago, Silver said:

Those old Mercs are long gone..

Not all of them. I've got a 1982 300SD that is solid and a good runner. In fact I would consider selling it because I've got too much work to do on smart cars and a model T that needs attention :D

So does anyone have an idea on the brake switch problem? The car won't turn off as long as the brake pedal is depressed. I can turn the ignition off and remove the key, but as long as the brake pedal is down the car keeps running. Everything else works flawlessly though, I even have communication at the OBD2 port back.