Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
niteshooter

Smart Fortwo car covers

8 posts in this topic

Hi, in addition to the question about car stackers in the other thread. I'm looking for an outdoor cover for my Smart which will be used until I can free up some room in the garage to park her. 

I'm looking for a fitted cover and so far I have looked at Coverking which can be purchased through Costco Canada but has one bad review (in french which I can read) or a company out of GB called Cover-zone via eBay.

There are a few 'small' car covers such as the one from Princess Auto but I have a feeling it will be way to large and just flop about on the Smart.

Here's a couple of suggestions for you.  You could try posting in the Stuff I've Found / Stuff I'm Looking For threads.  Something to keep in mind -->  Although the proper cover will fit both the 450 and the 451, the proper 450 cover is a very tight fit over the 451. 

Ok I took the plunge and ordered a Cover-zone cover via eBay. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Smart-Car-ForTwo-98-13-Outdoor-Fitted-Car-Cover-/201381563969?hash=item2ee346ce41:g:AM8AAOSw-vlVlVAr&vxp=mtr shipping to Canada was $24.50 USD.

I checked with Mercedes and the OEM cover is $178 CDN and would take 1 day to get in. After doing a lot of googling I concluded that it was also polyester which is ok as the Cover-zone and top line Coverking covers were also Polyester. There were other covers available from Coverking that were not, I suspect Evolution material which I'm not overly keen on as I've had many over the years and they do not stand up outdoors. If anyone is interested in Coverking covers are 17% off at http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/Wizards/cover_wizard3.cgi.

Cover arrived the other day, just got a chance to wash and dry the car and install the cover I picked up from eBay. Very form fitting, it's just a whisker short for the front and rear valences on the Brabus but still a very good fit. Has the pockets for the mirrors, I didn't punch a hole for the antenna but unscrewed it and put it in the car. 

Material feels a bit light duty so don't expect much for our climate up here but this is a stop gap until I get the garage set up for it granted I've had the Evolution III or whatever the Kimberly Clark material was and it did not stand up well at all. Cover has two adjustable straps that clip to the bottom of the cover with reinforced quick releases to keep it on the car plus grommet holes on each side for a cable. Again though the sides are just a whisker short so am a bit concerned that it might rub the rocker panels.

Looks mysteriously like the cover Mercedes sells but without the logos.

cover.jpg

Those look interesting, think I would anchor it to the ground though in case it wants to lift off in a wind storm. in my case I couldn't go that way since it would block access to the garage. Plus that extra $$ is going to have to go to a car stacker of some sort which is the next item on my check list.

We had a pretty good wind storm last night, cover stayed put, the clip on straps on the bottom really help.