Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
800mloffun

Joining the Smart Car Life

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

Recently purchased a 2006 Grandstyle 0.8 CDI for my brother about 2 weeks ago, and am thinking of purchasing one for myself (1hr commute on south western ontario highways to Waterloo for school)... Currently own a petrol bug that just seems to drink way too much gas in comparison to the adorable smart car. Thinking of getting a CDI just for fuel mileage even though they are about 11 years old now :(

However I drive a lot on awful roads to get to school and to get to work. Near Waterloo (back country roads) does anyone have any experience ? 

Also, any advice on safety ratings? My boyfriend is very "large truck" oriented and believes it's a death trap. 

Welcome to CsC.

If reliability is a necessity I would not recommend a cdi.  Your boyfriend is completely wrong about the smart being a death trap, in all likely hood more people are likely killed each year in whatever it is he drives.  As for having to drive on poorly maintained roads, I would stick with North American or Japanese.

CDI are not reliable? I was rather drawn to the fuel economy of it, and how it is a lot better than the 2008 Pure. 

And I drive it just fine on my 2004 Beetle, I heard that the differences in those two cars are not too different, and that the smarts traction control was almost better. 

My 2011 gas smart has been more reliable and cheaper to run then my 2005 cdi.  I use about 1 lhk extra in the 2011 but it has been thousands of dollars cheaper to operate.  There is always plenty of heat in the winter in the 2011 and the A/C works in the summer.

First, let me :welcome: you to the club.

I have to agree with most of what HuronLad posted, particularly about "Your boyfriend is completely wrong about the smart being a death trap".

The short wheelbase on a smart makes for an uncomfortable ride on rough roads.  I have two smarts (both CDI's) and I don't hesitate to go long distances in either of them, but I tend to travel well maintained highways. 

Different owners have different results for reliability.  Some can't keep them on the road if their life depended on it and others have no issues at all.  All of that said, the smart is a much more "fun" car to drive, but if it is to be your only vehicle, I would suggest a Honda Fit or Civic or Toyota Yaris.  My other half's 21 year old Civic never fails to start even though it is sadly neglected and often mistreated.