Tonydp

Factory Smart charger meltdown

31 posts in this topic

The plug it was plugged into actually looks a bit blackened.  I don't want to use the same strategy for my Bolt when it arrives now...

The charger can shut down if the receptacle / circuit is dodgy.   My wife has been using the car's EVSE at work with an outside receptacle for over a year and it has generally been fine.  The receptacle is rated at 20A and commerical grade with a rain cover.   However after sustained wet weather the EVSE kept stopping the charge and complaining about a bad circuit (flash code).   Their electrician looked at it and couldn't find a fault, the EVSE looks fine and continues to work.   They did replace the receptacle but the problem has been seen again. 

I'd definitely go with a higher quality receptacle and make sure the EVSE prongs are clean and not corroded. 

Just now, Blaine said:

The charger can shut down if the receptacle / circuit is dodgy.   My wife has been using the car's EVSE at work with an outside receptacle for over a year and it has generally been fine.  The receptacle is rated at 20A and commerical grade with a rain cover.   However after sustained wet weather the EVSE kept stopping the charge and complaining about a bad circuit (flash code).   Their electrician looked at it and couldn't find a fault, the EVSE looks fine and continues to work.   They did replace the receptacle but the problem has been seen again. 

I'd definitely go with a higher quality receptacle and make sure the EVSE prongs are clean and not corroded. 

The charger isn't complaining about the power.  Its complaining about the charger/ car side of things.  There are seperate warning LEDs for each.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, steveyfrac said:

The charger isn't complaining about the power.  Its complaining about the charger/ car side of things.  There are seperate warning LEDs for each.

Could you be more specific?    Which are the separate LEDs you're referring to, and which refers to which?   :huh:

The ones on the included EVSE will flash red under the following conditions, per the manual:

Indicator #1 (power bolt) - "A malfunction is detected in the external power supply. The high-voltage battery will be charged when the current signal reaches a normal value"

Indicator #2 (alert) - "The power supply on the control element is not permissible. The HV battery cannot be charged".

The second of these is ambiguous.   It could be the result of an external power problem, or it could be an internal issue with the EVSE power supply.  

Edited by Blaine

My EVSE manual is apparently different than yours?

My indicator two was specifically talking about an EVSE or Car fault in the manual, and that's the one that was flashing.  Took it to the dealer this morning, and the EVSE was full of water.  The waterproofing had failed.  I should have  a new charger tomorrow under warranty.

--Steve

15 hours ago, steveyfrac said:

My EVSE manual is apparently different than yours?

My indicator two was specifically talking about an EVSE or Car fault in the manual, and that's the one that was flashing.  Took it to the dealer this morning, and the EVSE was full of water.  The waterproofing had failed.  I should have  a new charger tomorrow under warranty.

--Steve

Wow, that sucks, the water could have caused some serious problems!   When we've seen a fault is was with both indicators flashing.  There were no indications of external shorting or contact problems.    Still, it could very well be a small leak in the housing.  If its wet we do wipe it down with a towel before storing,  but that's food for thought.

Thanks!