GRP151

The PRO'S and CON'S of the swivel wheel trailer

96 posts in this topic

A dual swivel wheel trailer requires a more complex attachment to the towing vehicle. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:32 PM, darren said:

A platform with dual swivel wheels makes much more sense, in my opinion. If the load is even slightly asymmetrical over a single wheel, i can see a lot of torsional forces being applied to the carrier and bolts, and general instability over anything but smooth, flat roads.

There has to be a good reason why the single swivel wheel design is not very common on our roads.

I would also imagine that the hub bearings on most single-wheel casters are not engineered for driving speeds.

The hub wheel is a stub axle used in making custom axles like the ones sold by Princess Auto for example

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-250-lb-high-speed-trailer-stub-axle/A-p2080067e

This picture below shows an optional swivel hitch attachment allowing for uneven road situations when using dual swivel wheels.

swivel hitch.png

Edited by GRP151
removing video

On 3/9/2017 at 0:59 PM, tolsen said:

A dual swivel wheel trailer requires a more complex attachment to the towing vehicle. 

It depends on the size and weight of the load.

As you can see here it is easily modified from a square receiver tube.

4546467.jpg

Edited by GRP151

12 hours ago, GRP151 said:

It depends on the size and weight of the load.

As you can see here it is easily modified from a square receiver tube.

4546467.jpg

So how is relative roll between car and trailer allowed for in above set up?  

23 minutes ago, tolsen said:

This connection is for a single swivel wheel. It does not roll left to right as opposed to the double swivel design which does require that connection . This image is meant to show an alternative  connection using a square tube receiver.

I will be using the tow hook bolt set up with a vertical swing action mount to allow for rough road conditions.

48 minutes ago, tolsen said:

try walking backwards with a wheelbarrow

edit: mount a single swivel wheel on it first in place of the original

also take video ...we'd like to see you do it 

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

@ LooseLugNuts:  Try moving a fully laden single swivel wheel wheelbarrow and you'll find it is totally uncontrollable in any direction.

1 person likes this

I didnt say it would be easy

you will have to keep your shoulders and elbows stiff as heck and just let your wrists swivel for proper comparison

I think there is a reason why these swivel wheel trailers never caught on.

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, tolsen said:

I think there is a reason why these swivel wheel trailers never caught on.

Take a close look boys!!

It will catch on faster than you think!!

The other day I had to pick up some truck tires for my 4x4, they fit nicely on this carrier.

XTRAILER.JPG

Edited by SMARTWRENCH

Towing an unrated, unregistered, "wheeled towing platform" on a vehicle not rated to tow anything.

What could possibly go wrong?

Also, regardless of what you might call your trailer, it's still up to your local constabulary and the Ministry of Transportation whether it qualifies as a trailer or not. If it's being pulled behind your vehicle, and has at least one wheel that touches the ground, I think it's safe to say that it's a trailer, and not a "supported cargo carrier" or "wheeled towing platform" or whatever you might want to call it. You'll likely need to register it, and use all appropriate safety measures, including safety chains, or take your chances with the law.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/register-trailer

Edited by darren

How does your equipage perform in snow and ice?

Just being curious. 

With a regular trailer you would have swaying from left to right which is the nature of its design.

The single swivel is always stable, in that it becomes an extension of the vehicle.

The downside during un-plowed road conditions are when the snow is not cleared in the center of the wheel tracks.

It can get really bumpy if the snow is frozen by bouncy around when it is empty. As it is so light

Otherwise with good road conditions (without pot holes and road bumps) you would never know its behind you.

I find the best part about this, is, parking. You just have to remember that your car is a lot longer and by adding guide poles to the rear corners you get a better sense of size.

The downside of this design could be changing a flat. It would require a special jacking method since there is no axle to lift.

TENT.JPG

Do you intend fitting an auxiliary pair of wheels to allow moving your trailer fully laden when disconnected from your Smart?

11 hours ago, tolsen said:

Do you intend fitting an auxiliary pair of wheels to allow moving your trailer fully laden when disconnected from your Smart?

After I've disconnected it from the Smart I lean it up against the fence which occupies very little space with the tow arms downward.

Try that with a trailer of comparable size without breaking your back!

When there is a load on the carrier and I wish to disconnect it I will be using the telescopic square pipe support system.

Having 4 telescopic supports corner posts will also assist in changing a tire or storing it.

00121.png

Edited by GRP151

After reading all of these post I find that most of the members here are pretty clueless as to what grp151 has been saying. He is creating an extension to the vehicle with a 'support' wheel.

Seems pretty obvious. Not a trailer a 'carrier'

Grasping this simple concept seems to evade those who have been commenting. The ones who think they know so much are talking about something else attempting to look smart when if fact they show the opposite.

I like the idea and will be getting one made.

You can call it what you wish, but if the Ministry of Transportation – and your insurance company – think it's a trailer, then it's a trailer. 

We're not "clueless." Just realistic. 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, darren said:

You can call it what you wish, but if the Ministry of Transportation – and your insurance company – think it's a trailer, then it's a trailer. 

We're not "clueless." Just realistic. 

I think if adding lights and purchasing a $20 home made trailer plate from the Ministry of Transportation will give you peace of mind then go for it.

There's nothing wrong with that.It would probably be a better idea for those who don't want any grief.

But what I have learned through life is that everything is terminology. 

I find it humorous when a motorist comes to a stop sign and slows down to a crawl but never really comes to a complete stop and believes they have complied with the law. Until they receive a ticket only to find out that there is no such thing as a 'rolling stop'. A stop is a stop. if you approach a stop sign and your wheels have not stopped moving, you are in a violation.

So to conclude (again for the sake of peace of mind and for some the law), it would be best to not take a chance and get a $20 plate and wire it up with lights!

Well said grp151!

Just to carry the non trailer discussion a wee bit further, if we assume the contraption is an extension of the car, then I think its maximum length and width can not be more than legal limits for overhanging cargo.  For the UK that is max 1 metre towards rear and 305 mm each side.  That means you could add a pretty large cargo carrying platform at the back of the car and still possibly stay within the law.

DSC01723.jpg

Does my Smart bike carrier comply with the law?  No, because rear lights are obstructed.

DSC02850.jpg

Image shows me carrying a pane of triple glazing supported by tow bar and tow bar mounted bike carrier.  Fully legal I assume.

Sleepers.jpg

Probably not legal. I ended up carrying 12 sleepers in one go.  No problem at all pulling the load.

DSC02409.jpg

One tonne of top soil.  I carried 50 tonnes in total over a couple of days.  Total distance 1500 km.  Total ascent 30 km..  A swivel trailer would be unsuitable for this load.

Omega2032.jpg

Above photo was shot end of June, can't remember which year.  This is a handy sized trailer for the wee Smart car.

DSC02316.jpg

Load is far too heavy but makes no difference because not legal even when empty.

Think I will make myself a platform or similar contraption that I can attach to the back of my Smart for carrying lighter bulky loads.  Mine won't have any swivel wheel though but I intend to fit a light board if rear lights get obstructed.

Edited by tolsen
1 person likes this

I would also like to add that, when interpreting the HTA (Highway Traffic Act here in Ontario) even a cargo carrier would also be illegal.

Carrying even the smallest item could and would be a consideration of 'obstruction of plate' a ticket of $110, Section 13(2) of the HT act .

As well as..

1.Having a dealership advertised plate trim (the ones they give you advertising where you bought your car)

2. A dirty plate, or  covered with snow

3.The painted letters have faded or peeled off and last but not least...

4.Driving with the tailgate down, your plate is now no longer visible a definite violation

Edited by GRP151
1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, GRP151 said:

I would also like to add that, when interpreting the HTA (Highway Traffic Act here in Ontario) even a cargo carrier would also be illegal.

Carrying even the smallest item could and would be a consideration of 'obstruction of plate' a ticket of $110, Section 13(2) of the HT act .

As well as..

1.Having a dealership advertised plate trim (the ones they give you advertising where you bought your car)

2. A dirty plate, or  covered with snow

3.The painted letters have faded or peeled off and last but not least...

4.Driving with the tailgate down, your plate is now no longer visible a definite violation

I wonder if removing your plate from the Smart and attaching it to the carrier would comply with the HTA?

Since the intent is to consider it an extention of the vehicle your providing the requirement. No obstruction and clearly visible.

You would need to provide a ligh,t to be in compliance, for the evening also. A modified bicycle tail light could work ?