GRP151

The PRO'S and CON'S of the swivel wheel trailer

96 posts in this topic

Have just completed designing my perfectly legal swivel wheel free trailer.

Cargo carrying platform extends no more than 1000 mm behind the car and width same as maximum width of car.  Forward end of platform is supported by my existing tow bar. Rear end of platform is supported by two diagonal rods connected to upper bike carrier mounts.  Rear end of platform will have a light board.

Load carrying capacity will be much higher than a similar size swivel wheel trailer.

How exciting Tolsen!

Its always a nice feeling, when an idea is brought forward, to inspire others to get involved in a unique venture.

Will it look like one of these?

Are you going to make the wheel spring loaded with shocks?

Others have also made the front attaching bar spring loaded as well.

I guess it will depend on the load you are planning to carry.

c4_1_b.jpg

64ada81cfd377fda9787caeb7bcbc90a.jpg

ALLSTATE3.jpg

DSC02206.JPG

DSC02629.JPG

1 person likes this

My design is swivel wheel free, hence no swivel and no wheel and can therefore be made very light. Made out of plywood with plywood sides. Diagonal rods either metal pipe or bamboo. Estimated load carrying capacity based on strength is 150 kg but that needs to be very much reduced to make my contraption fully road legal if required. 

Oops! My mistake I thought you were making it with a free swivel wheel.

Supporting it with two diagonal rods connected to upper bike carrier mounts sounds like a lot of stress on the mounts especially over bumpy roads.

BTW where on the Cabrio are the upper mounts located that would be adequate to handle a 150kg load?

A.JPG

B.JPG

Edited by GRP151
1 person likes this

The observant reader may already have noted the errors in presented info on linked Evilution site. Each upper carrier mount bracket on the 450 is held on with two M6x1.0 stainless steel Allen button head screws, not 4 mm Allen bolts. Similarly, top carrier arms connect to top mounts with an M8x1.25 stainless steel screw each side. 

Each of these top mounts are immensely strong and will carry a 400 kg load each side applied at 45 degrees to the horizontal. 

A dangerous contraption and surely illegal:

A.JPG

Imagine a cyclist ramming into back of above Smart car hitting one of its deadly lances?

I was surprised to see this when I did my search for a Smart Fortwo platform. I would assume the arms are removed when not in use.

It could be useful for those that have difficulty gauging their parking space. At least no one will try to squeeze up behind you and box you in.

5 hours ago, tolsen said:

The observant reader may already have noted the errors in presented info on linked Evilution site. Each upper carrier mount bracket on the 450 is held on with two M6x1.0 stainless steel Allen button head screws, not 4 mm Allen bolts. Similarly, top carrier arms connect to top mounts with an M8x1.25 stainless steel screw each side. 

Each of these top mounts are immensely strong and will carry a 400 kg load each side applied at 45 degrees to the horizontal. 

Could you please be a little more specific in the upper mount installation? I found evilutions explanation a wee bit confusing since I have never seen or installed a bike rack on a smart.

DC10456.JPG

Does this bike rack come with a back plate that needs to be maneuvered up through the body panel after drilling the pilot and bolt hole? 

DC10455.JPG

The smart bike rack is a joke, just don't do it!  Ride the bike, don't drive it!

3 hours ago, Mike T said:

The smart bike rack is a joke, just don't do it!  Ride the bike, don't drive it!

What you mean by joke?  It is the best bike rack I have ever owned.

4 hours ago, GetSmart said:

Does this bike rack come with a back plate that needs to be maneuvered up through the body panel after drilling the pilot and bolt hole? 

DC10455.JPG

A thick threaded back plate is maneouvred  into position, held in place by the M6 screws and then pop riveted in position to allow removal of the bolts in preparation for installation of the upper support bracket.

8 hours ago, tolsen said:

What you mean by joke?  It is the best bike rack I have ever owned.

It's rubbish, puts the bike up high into the airstream...yeah I know about the modification, but then it becomes illegal and unsafe.

16 minutes ago, Mike T said:

It's rubbish, puts the bike up high into the airstream...yeah I know about the modification, but then it becomes illegal and unsafe.

Which modification and why unsafe?

Lowering the bike on the smart frame blocks the taillamps and indicators to some degree, not to mention the license plate.  That's unsafe, and illegal (but common) in North America.  Not enforced for the most part.

3 minutes ago, Mike T said:

Lowering the bike on the smart frame blocks the taillamps and indicators to some degree, not to mention the license plate.  That's unsafe, and illegal (but common) in North America.  Not enforced for the most part.

DSC01723.jpg

I also have a light board that I can attach similar to the 451 carrier.  There is nothing unsafe about this carrier whether left as original or lowered.  Unlowered the bikes do sit rather high making it hard to maintain motorway speeds but not a problem on normal farm roads.

It's only unsafe (and illegal in BC) when lowered.  Up high as delivered, it's a joke.  No one in Canada uses additional lights for tailgate bike racks.

I have racing bikes.  Imagine the effect with a disc carbon rear wheel.

I fail to see why this carrier is unsafe when lowered.  If you think it indeed is unsafe and not legal, please state clearly why.

Read my posts from above again, and it's there for you to enjoy.

There is no better bike carrier for the Smart 450 so in that case all bike carriers that fit a 450 will be unsafe and not legal in your mind Mike.

Wow, you seem to be having such great difficulty in understanding what I have written.  So I will reiterate my previous posts:

1. The stock smart rack is just naff ("a joke" I called it), not unsafe or illegal.  

2. It's the modified smart racks and others that lower the bike to partially obscure taillamps and the license plate that render it both illegal and unsafe.

Best bike rack for the Smart 450 is Smart's own.  It can also carry skies, snowboards etc etc.

bikerack.jpg

This carrier can also be adapted to carry other bulky loads but may then require a suitable light board.

Cons:

Weak persons struggle as bikes are fitted very high.

Adds considerable drag hence not suited for high speed driving.

Forward facing side of bike gets plaster in dead insects.

Rather expensive unless bought second hand.

4 hours ago, tolsen said:

Best bike rack for the Smart 450 is Smart's own.  It can also carry skies, snowboards etc etc.

bikerack.jpg

This carrier can also be adapted to carry other bulky loads but may then require a suitable light board.

Cons:

Weak persons struggle as bikes are fitted very high.

Adds considerable drag hence not suited for high speed driving.

Forward facing side of bike gets plaster in dead insects.

Rather expensive unless bought second hand.

Actually I prefer to have this option for a bike rack since I cycle with my wife

index.jpg

dual bike rack.jpg

Edited by GRP151
1 person likes this

With a solid (non-spoked) rear wheel, that would be a nightmare. That's what Mike is talking about. 

Edited by darren