GRP151

The PRO'S and CON'S of the swivel wheel trailer

100 posts in this topic

Wow, you seem to be having such great difficulty in understanding what I have written.  So I will reiterate my previous posts:

1. The stock smart rack is just naff ("a joke" I called it), not unsafe or illegal.  

2. It's the modified smart racks and others that lower the bike to partially obscure taillamps and the license plate that render it both illegal and unsafe.

Best bike rack for the Smart 450 is Smart's own.  It can also carry skies, snowboards etc etc.

bikerack.jpg

This carrier can also be adapted to carry other bulky loads but may then require a suitable light board.

Cons:

Weak persons struggle as bikes are fitted very high.

Adds considerable drag hence not suited for high speed driving.

Forward facing side of bike gets plaster in dead insects.

Rather expensive unless bought second hand.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, tolsen said:

Best bike rack for the Smart 450 is Smart's own.  It can also carry skies, snowboards etc etc.

bikerack.jpg

This carrier can also be adapted to carry other bulky loads but may then require a suitable light board.

Cons:

Weak persons struggle as bikes are fitted very high.

Adds considerable drag hence not suited for high speed driving.

Forward facing side of bike gets plaster in dead insects.

Rather expensive unless bought second hand.

Actually I prefer to have this option for a bike rack since I cycle with my wife

index.jpg

dual bike rack.jpg

Edited by GRP151
1 person likes this

With a solid (non-spoked) rear wheel, that would be a nightmare. That's what Mike is talking about. 

Edited by darren

I have laid 2 bikes on the roof of my 4 x 4 by removing the pedals and loosening the handle bar stem to lay flat.

It works great and I believe it may have less wind resistant than standing upright.

Similar idea of this surf board on the Smart

cool_rack.jpg

1 person likes this

On 3/23/2017 at 8:36 AM, GRP151 said:

I have laid 2 bikes on the roof of my 4 x 4 by removing the pedals and loosening the handle bar stem to lay flat.

It works great and I believe it may have less wind resistant than standing upright.

Similar idea of this surf board on the Smart

cool_rack.jpg

I think this is a brilliant solution for carrying a small ladder or other large objects by using this rear mount setup and a FOAM front rack instead of a metal one shown here!:D

1 person likes this

One more design feature to add to this concept. The ability to flip it up and drive with it until required!

Now all I have to do is to devise a strap system to secure it to the Smart to keep it in place.

flip.jpg

1 person likes this

Here are a few nice looking single wheel trailers:

erde1.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Erde2.jpg

Erde3.jpg

These are not single swivel trailers so can be moved with ease when unhitched.

20 hours ago, GetSmart said:

I wonder how that one swivels?

k-100_0644.JPG

MVC-009F.jpg

pav3.jpg

1 person likes this

Those wheels can't be suitable for highway use. 

More nice trailers:

Trailer_089.jpg

singlew3.jpg

conny13.jpg

conny12.jpg

r8slap.jpg

On 4/16/2017 at 1:17 PM, tolsen said:

More nice trailers:

If the ones I posted above appear to have the wheel that is unacceptable for highway I would assume the same for this  VW setup.

Unless the whitewall gives it the illusion of approval.

So which one is your favourite so far?

conny13.jpg

Edited by GRP151

This is my favourite swivel trailer.

The only downside or "Con" as I would say is the tongue weight would be heavier than a traditional trailer. But the upside is not only maneuverability but the ease of loading and unloadingmotor.jpg

On 04/16/2017 at 4:57 AM, tolsen said:

Here are a few nice looking single wheel trailers:

erde1.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Erde2.jpg

Erde3.jpg

These are not single swivel trailers so can be moved with ease when unhitched.

How do these single wheel trailers respone when turning, if the wheel doesn't  turn? Either the load is so light that it drags the tire into a turn or this is how you wear out a tire.

No swivel wheel means these trailers can be moved with ease when disconnected from the car.  They will also help stabilise a car in a turn so little chance of loosing grip on rear axle which would cause a Smart hauling a swivel wheel trailer to spin around with potentially fatal outcome. 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:02 AM, tolsen said:

No swivel wheel means these trailers can be moved with ease when disconnected from the car.  They will also help stabilise a car in a turn so little chance of loosing grip on rear axle which would cause a Smart hauling a swivel wheel trailer to spin around with potentially fatal outcome. 

....a Smart hauling a swivel wheel trailer to spin around with potentially fatal outcome. 

I would have to disagree with that logic. Dragging a wheel in a turn puts more stress on the mounting pins. What would happen if you hit a pothole in a turn? You could do some structual damage to the connection as well as more wear and tear on the tire. The non swivel is like having a hockey stick sweeping the road left to right as you complete a turn. That tire would go bald very quickly with city driving scraping away the rubber on every turn especially with a heavy load.

The swivel put less stress as it doesn't resist  movement as a non swivel one would

1 person likes this

Swivel trailers on a rear engine car is dangerous as far too easy to loose the tail on a turn. 

6 hours ago, tolsen said:

Swivel trailers on a rear engine car is dangerous as far too easy to loose the tail on a turn. 

You don't know what you are talking about Tolsen! I've had mine for over 3 years and it is not only safe it is virtually indectable when driving.

You may know some things about the Smart but as for the swivel trailer you have no idea what you are saying.

Having a non swivel is more dangerouse, it will scrape alone the pavement to complete a turn. If it catch's on a uneven surface or curb while making an extreme turn it could tear off its connection to the car. It will skid and could blow out if the conditions were right.

Swivel trailers are for unskilled drivers that  have difficulties reversing. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, tolsen said:

Swivel trailers are for unskilled drivers that  have difficulties reversing. 

Ha ha that’s funny! Reminds me of the Trike motorcycles. Now that’s laughable! But all joking aside, it has nothing to do with the skill of reversing a trailer.

Its has to do with convenience with a short extension to the car. As GRP151 said " its a cargo carrier" designed to restrict the drawback of a trailer. Jack knifing and being oversized.

This cargo carrier has  the least amount of inconvenience for storage, ease of maneuverability and small enough  to stow away.

Driving with a trailer has never been my problem since I own a power boat that I launch every weekend in the summer ( weather permitting.)

Now back to the question at hand.

Your attempt to redirect the question regarding non swivel vs swivel is still unanswered.

Swivel wheel trailers are dangerous because they alter a car's handling. 

Center of gravity is moved towards the rear and will vary with load.  End result is the car will oversteer so you can easily loose your tail on windy roads. 

9 hours ago, tolsen said:

Swivel wheel trailers are dangerous because they alter a car's handling. 

Center of gravity is moved towards the rear and will vary with load.  End result is the car will oversteer so you can easily loose your tail on windy roads. 

What kind of mumbo jumbo are you talking about here? Are you talking about carrying a 1000lb elephant on the back?(baby elephant of coarse) Then you will get some oversteer. Just a tad.

You still seem to be unable to grasp the concept Tolsen. Were not trying to carry as much a possible, as you do with your trailer, (5 tons of stone and 50 railway ties) no just bulky items that are too large or cumbersome to fit into the car.

Like camping gear, you know, sleeping bags, tent, cooler, packed food, refrigerator, oven, a couple of midgets. A small bear lost from its mother that I captured and training to drive the Smart. That kind of stuff!

C'mon get with the program!!  Smarty pants!

1 person likes this

Time out.