alcoolaid

2017 Smart Electric Drive production timeline/arrival

148 posts in this topic

On 2017-06-08 at 0:17 PM, Mike T said:

Hmmm, it might be worth bailing and getting a different EV.

I would consider it if, there was anything comparable in both size

and price...:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Mike T said:

That's nuts, you were supposed to have it a month ago.  It will be a used car in terms of model year when you get it.

Why not "pull the plug" on that order and get an electric that is for sale now?  

I seriously think there are high level talks in Daimler about never introducing the 453 ED to the USA and Canada.

I'm inclined to agree with you. It has been out in Europe for what seems like ages and replacing the 453 over the 451 we had is not that difficult. Something is going on that is causing this delay.

If I was Smart (see what I did there?) I'd only make the ED convertible, and completely focus on upscale selling locations and put these beauties directly next to the large Mercedes convertibles in the store, then a buyer has a choice, a Mercedes for 5x the money, or this awesome little car.   And make the Smart ED convertible the standard loaner and errand car for customers with 1 day appointments.   We'll see...

big-lebowski-well-thats-just-like-your-o

Sorry, but I hope that doesn't happen. I don't care for the ED convertible. In fact I turned down a lease offer on one that was at a more attractive price than the coupe I chose. I just want a cheap little crap-box and it's looking like it might not be a Smart.

Electric vehicles continue to become more and more popular. Volvo has just let loose Polestar to produce vehicles aimed at Tesla and BMW I and on CTV last night two pickup trucks were shown - one called the Workhorse that has 5,000 orders and will be built in the US and then the Bison that will be made in Canada. Not sure by who, but working models were shown.

Then looking back at last year MB indicated they would roll out their EQ line of cars and showed a SUV model at Paris. Builds would take place in Bremen, Germany and three different models were mentioned. They already have the B class, which we don't get and no mention was ever made about our Smart cars. Perhaps the labour  issues by France have changed things. Unions were all very unhappy including those at the Smart plant. Smart might just be phased out. Sad if true because it is a great little car as most of us here know.

Edited by SmartED

For those of you who haven't seen the 453 ED review from THREE MONTHS AGO.       MB is clearly being run by a bunch of minions with bananas on the brain...

For one thing, it's bizarre to have a strategy that sees more than a year's interruption in electric vehicle supply.  They did that with the 450 and 451 in Canada too, a bit less than a year thanks to all the extra 2006s that M-B Canada ordered.

10 hours ago, lebikerboy said:

Except in the US new 451 ED's are still available...

I think you'll find it pretty difficult to find a new 451 ED in the US, at least from what's been posted on SCoA.   There's plenty of off lease units.   I'm pretty sure there are no new 451EDs in Toronto.  They'd be a good buy with the new rebates.

In Canada the dealerships didn't have final option lists and didn't have pricing.   They don't have stock even though it appears they're shipping in Europe and were demoing them three months ago.   MB claimed last year that they would start the EV model in NA.   Then crickets.   The earliest I've been quoted is September delivery, "maybe October".    Your own experience...  So maybe they will release them in Canada in August.   Whatever that means.

The whole "yellow, no blue, aaaaaaarrgh, splat" management confusion doesn't engender confidence.    Not that I'm exactly thrilled with how either the Tesla Model 3 or the GM Bolt were rolled out, but they were 100% consistent on their messaging, and they're hitting their targets.   I'm sure the NA market is an afterthought for MB, given most sales are elsewhere, but they just seem to be amateurish by comparison.  

Sorry for the rant.   [ Wipes sweat from brow, sweeps up hair from floor ]

Those "new" 451 EDs in the USA - if there are many - are all 18+ month old cars, previous model year cars being sold as new.  All it means is that MBUSA was better at anticipating the poor transition between 451 and 453 ED and ordered enough to sell them as new used cars during the yawning gap in production.  smart needs to get their shit together on generational transitions....

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, SmartED said:

Happy Canada Day everyone. EV's too if there are any new ones here, or anywhere in Canada

Happy Canada Day to you too !!!

We're going for a drive in our ED :)

On 6/22/2017 at 2:44 PM, GMoney said:

big-lebowski-well-thats-just-like-your-o

Sorry, but I hope that doesn't happen. I don't care for the ED convertible. In fact I turned down a lease offer on one that was at a more attractive price than the coupe I chose. I just want a cheap little crap-box and it's looking like it might not be a Smart.

Wouldn't even consider one that isn't a convertible. I'd it was an electric I wanted, I'd go with Tesla or the Bolt.  The convertible is what I want, and electric is secondary.

http://www.autotrader.ca/expert/20170630/first-drive-2017-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-cabrio/

Exact MSRPs for the electric convertible are set to be finalized in July, but the upcoming ’17 Smart Electric Drive Coupe to be launched at the same time has been confirmed at $28,800. That’s roughly $1,800 over the previous electric coupe, so a similar amount on the convertible side would mean a starting price around $32,000.

Adding tax and destination, subtracting the rebate and factoring in "destination" and other charges:
(28800*1.13)+1200-13000 = $20744

I was quoted $8500 trade in for my 2013 Smart ED recently, so my cost would be:
((28800-8500)*1.13)+1200-13000 = $11139

If I drive this new 2017 Smart ED for 4 years like my current one, get $8K on trade in, that would be a 4 year after tax cost of :
(11139-8000)/48 = $65/mo

The convertible would be 
(((32000-8500)*1.13)+1200-13000)-8000)/48 = $140/mo (taxes included)

This is not a hard decision...

I agree, the range is an issue, but the charger is 7kW, adding 30 km/ hour of charge, so to do 200 km in a day, you charge at your destination for 2.5 hours, and charge 30 minutes somewhere along the way. 

The Hyundai Ioniq is $35K, about $7K more expensive for about 2x the range.

The Bolt is $42K, $14K more expensive for more than 3x the range.

There is no other electric convertible outside of Smart ($32K) and Tesla ($100K), so that is a key "feature" drawing me to the Smart.

7 hours ago, Kent&Alex said:

Wouldn't even consider one that isn't a convertible. I'd it was an electric I wanted, I'd go with Tesla or the Bolt.  The convertible is what I want, and electric is secondary.

I believe Mark Twain said "It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse-races." The electric is what I want, my fresh air needs are met by my Miata and my motorcycle.