alcoolaid

2017 Smart Electric Drive production timeline/arrival

148 posts in this topic

I meant until I experience the actual range. I've seen countless ED video blogs where they're getting much better range than 58 miles.

Even Kamal said he drove 58.5 miles and had 30% remaining while using air con the entire time.

I just don't believe ratings provided by an American institution...

Just put down $2K deposit on 2017 Smart ED coupe.

MSRP $28800

$3K in options

• Black panels with "electric green" tridion $200
  • LED lighting $700
  • Pano roof $390
  • touch screen $1600
  • arm rest $125

Car is currently in Halifax awaiting certification.

Estimated delivery is end of September.

The Smart loyalty discount was quote as $500 (it used to be $1000).

Dealer first offer is a discount of $2K on top of loyalty (I consider this a "starting place" for negotiation).

Ontario rebate is $13K

Trade in quote for 2013 Smart ED with 25000 km is $8500.

Looking at ~$12K on the road for trade - up.

If it's worth $8500 for trade in 4 years from now, that's $3500 to drive 4 more years.

Not as good a deal as I intend to finally negotiate, but it's a stake in the ground for now.

Figured I had better put down my deposit for one of the first coupe's off the boat to reserve my place in line.

This car was the highest optioned of the list of cars for this dealer.

Not as highly optioned as I would have personally spec'd, but the color is what I wanted.

For reference, I've gone in to three dealers and priced out new cars:

2017 Nissan Leaf would only be $2000 more than the Smart over a 4 year period, as Nissan has significant discounts, and Ontario rebate is $14K (5 seat cars get the full rebate).

2017 Chevy Volt would be $4000 more than the Smart over a 4 year period, with dealer willing to budge only $1000 on MSRP.

Decision is made easier because we prefer the looks and go-cart driving characteristics of the Smart vs Leaf, and don't want to use gas and dislike Chevy corporate politics (anti-Tesla).

My plan B is a used BMW i3.   There's one on auto trader for $23K, which is probably $6K to drive over 4 years (after trade in and factoring in $3K of out of warranty repair/maintenance), reasonably attractive, but I prefer an in-warranty car for peace of mind.   I like the looks of the i3, and the performance is way above the Smart.   It's an option.   I've got a few months...

On 8/2/2017 at 10:07 AM, lebikerboy said:

Just got final pricing and delivery date from M/B.

Slightly more than I anticipated with a due date

of 2 1/2 to 3 weeks...:rolleyes:

Since we're now a couple of days past 3 weeks, what's the latest?

Excellent!!!    Can you feel the assembled crowd of enthusiasts hovering over your shoulder about to say "AND ...."
"

On 26/08/2017 at 5:08 PM, lebikerboy said:

Pick up Monday...:P

Here in Toronto, my local dealer got back to me yesterday and noted that they expect to receive their demo and initial ordered cars in the next 3 weeks.

The sales rep seemed surprised that anyone in Western Canada would already be getting their ED because this dealer isn't due to receive the cars from Halifax for a few weeks from now.

Won't be getting the car today after all through no fault of M/B...

Went for a bike ride this morning and somehow severely tweaked my knee so,

I'm off to the Doctor's this afternoon:angry:

Will pick the car up tomorrow afternoon instead.

I love the fact that the 453 has a lot of the nuances and charm that the 450 had.

I never liked the 451 interior or exterior and is why I waited for the 453 electric.

The car is very quiet, the only sound is the drive train, which is very muffled.

Scoots off the line albeit not quite as fast as my Hemi 'Cuda did!!!

The new charger comes in a very attractive and accessible holder mounted

in the rear trunk.

Anyway, not too much more to say as I only drove it from the dealer to home.

The car had a 42% charge when I picked it up so it's on charge at 12 Amps

and will be fully charged around 2:00 AM. We're going to be running around tomorrow

so, will give more details after that...:rolleyes:

P.S. Tell your sales rep that the world is bigger than Ontario...:P

Edited by lebikerboy
just 'cause
3 people like this

An update...

So, took the new car over to Vancouver today and encountered heavy traffic plus warm temperatures

and, as a result the air con was on constantly. Also, I didn't use ECO once just to see what type of range I'd get.

With the distance driven plus anticipated range remaining I'm looking at 118 km's .:rolleyes:

My only complaint so far is that the audio system restarts from the first track on my memory stick after each restart

so, what's up with that?

I've ordered a new air intake scoop for engine cooling, a cargo cover which looks a lot better than OEM and a new set of

Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. The OEM tires are Continental Pro Contact TX tires and as usual have about 2/3 the amount of tread

compared to aftermarket plus the Vred's are M&S rated. The last acquisition I'm considering is Philips H4 LED replacement lights.

This will take considerable care to ensure that the light housing is deep enough and, that there is enough room at the rear to

accommodate the heat sinks...

Amazing little car and so glad we pulled the trigger.

Lebikerboy,

Let me know if you are interested in selling your take-off tires.

My new-to-me car needs new rubber.

Thanks,

Pedro

:DMaybe the west coast arrivals are coming from China while Ontario being more bilingual gets the French versions?

I am looking to "upgrade" Buttercup my 2008 smart to electric and have been waiting for the release of the ED.  I was hearing May/Jun so I emailed the dealer who said later, maybe Aug/Sep.  Then yesterday I emailed the dealer again and asked when and they said 4th quarter in an email I received this morning.  Later today I went back to www.thesmart.ca to check out something and they now have the ED up and available to build.

I currently am quite happy with Buttercup, she will be 10 on the 13th and just passed 80,000km but I've wanted an ED since they came out but lived in a condo then with no charging options.  Now I have a house and...

So today I built a couple - I am surprised that the cool colour options we've seen in reviews are not available here (a very bright green, fuchsia pink and a brown) nor does it appear they are offering a leather interior?  I LOVE my leather seats (they look brand new!) and butt warmers.

I am not sure if I get a Buttercup Jr. as I am not sure of the yellow shown (each monitor looks different) and I love my bright yellow car...I would be sad if it was a muted yellow.  Decisions, decisions!

I'm not seeing it.  Just the gas powered smart is all the choice I'm given.  Never mind, found it.  Does it really have that huge stick shift they show in the picture??  If so, I'll pass on the smart ev.  The price is nice, $31,500 for the Cabrio minus the $14,000 rebate makes it a nice cheap electric car.

Edited by Kent&Alex

I just saw a brand-new 453 Electric Drive in my neighbourhood on the weekend! (Victoria Park and Kingston Road in Toronto.)

I saw a wave from the car behind me, then saw it had a little "electric drive" decal on the front left edge of the hood. It was black on black with the "cloverleaf" alloy wheels. 

Edited by darren
1 person likes this

No such luck here.  Though we ordered in January we still have not received our car.  Our first promised delivery date was in May, next June, then August and the last the first of September.  The only good news is that it has finally arrived in Halifax.  However, it is "being held through a campaign regarding certification and software updates for the Canadian market" and they have no idea when it will be released.  I have got to say that if we didn't really want one, we would have cancelled our order long ago.

I can only loosely call it "our" car as they were unable to provide several options we ordered as the plant was shutting down for the summer break and supplies were allowed to run low for the coming model year changes.  Thank goodness they don't sell fresh fruit or medical supplies...

1 person likes this

FYI

My Mercedes/Samrt dealer phoned 10 minutes ago, my Smart ED has arrived in Toronto, yah!
But they told me explicitly they will not apply for the rebate on my behalf, it's my responsibility, boo!
But they are looking into a lease option which would force them to apply for the rebate, so I just pay a lease payment, yay!

Excellent!    Here's hoping you get it on the road soon.   Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

1 hour ago, SmartElectric said:

FYI

My Mercedes/Samrt dealer phoned 10 minutes ago, my Smart ED has arrived in Toronto, yah!
But they told me explicitly they will not apply for the rebate on my behalf, it's my responsibility, boo!
But they are looking into a lease option which would force them to apply for the rebate, so I just pay a lease payment, yay!

Boy, that took awhile!:rolleyes: