alcoolaid

2017 Smart Electric Drive production timeline/arrival

148 posts in this topic

Finally got our delivery date to North Van, June 14/17...

Still extremely pissed off!

On 17/03/2017 at 1:15 AM, SmartElectric said:

Great!   I'll have to take my wife's Tesla to your place, my Smart ED couldn't make it round trip from the east end of GTA to the west end where you live LOL!   DOH! 

I missed this in March.  I've never had a ride in a Tesla.  Straight up trade?  I take you for a ride in my Chevy, you take me for a ride in your Tesla?

Hardly seems fair....  Lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok driving is still s no go but in today's Star I saw an ad for the Focus EV - three years and $190 a month plus tax. Interesting. We also have a member here who ordered a Bolt. Anyone buy either and can share experiences - just in case the Smart doesn't come to life here and I do! Don't know if the Ontario rebate of $14,000 was built into that price but expect it is. Well equipped SE it was.

Edited by SmartED

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/the-2017-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-is-now-even-more-of-a-bargain/

US 453 ED $23800 pre-tax.

US gas 453 is $14650

CAN gas 453 is $17300

So it looks like 453 ED in Ontario would be ~$26500 MSRP.

With $13K rebate, and other incidentals (delivery, etc) the all-in price looks to be ~$18K.

My 2013 Smart ED was $19200 drive away (all in), but that included $3K off MSRP with dealer cash, and $1000 loyalty (owner of a Daimler product), so $4K discount and the $8500 rebate applied.

Still probably going to be July/August the earliest as per my original post. 

Bought a used Nissan Leaf in March for the mean time

On 2017-05-22 at 11:43 PM, steveyfrac said:

Was checking out the site.  Still no ED on the website.  Has anyone taking delivery of the new Electric?

None have come into the country as of yet.

I wonder if they're thinking of pulling the plug (sorry for the pun) on the entire smart brand in Canada.  The electric has been available for order to European customers for nearly three months now.

Maybe so.  At one point it was announced that the US would get the first of the 453 ED.  That did not happen.

Assuming they are still going to be arriving, what model year would it be? I'm thinking  they would make them 2018s, but as a consumer we will be the last to know.. I hope they do arrive and stay in Canada. As a country we can benefit having them.:rolleyes:

Late July production and after would be 2018.

Is there any ordering information out there at all yet? I keep looking but nothing I have found so far .Maybe some have learned something? I know I'm being silly but one can only hope until such time as MB wants us to know. :rolleyes:

I got an e-mail from M/B North Vancouver yesterday explaining that the colour we chose, (EBB Hazel Brown) has been discontinued

so we chose, (EDB Lava Orange) as the replacement.

I was also told that production of the ED hasn't even begun yet. I've been promised a date as soon as the local

folks are given one.

Only time will tell...:unsure:

Hmmm, it might be worth bailing and getting a different EV.

Oh what fun we have trying to stay in the family. Ok I'm on a time out now, but want my Munchkin back. Now though my favorite colour is being scrapped? A monotone Hazel brown was my goal based on the Ice version I saw and drove. Oh well, black is still beautiful, right? :angry:

The later in 2017 Smart delays availability of the new 453 ED convertible, the closer this gets to my Model 3 reservation delivery window in spring 2018 ... I'm unlikely to pop for a new Smart unless they discount massively so my "upgrade" cost is minimal ... it's hard to justify spending any $ on a new Smart given that my 451 ED is running so well.

44 minutes ago, SmartElectric said:

The later in 2017 Smart delays availability of the new 453 ED convertible, the closer this gets to my Model 3 reservation delivery window in spring 2018 ... I'm unlikely to pop for a new Smart unless they discount massively so my "upgrade" cost is minimal ... it's hard to justify spending any $ on a new Smart given that my 451 ED is running so well.

That's basically what we did.   Both with the Bolt (8 months or so to delivery) and the ED (Sept/Oct maybe?).   Both vendors seem to be treating them as compliance cars.    The 451 ED is running very well and looks like it will be our beater for the next few years.   Plus, heck, we like it. :)

22 hours ago, steveyfrac said:

My Bolt EV has arrived at the dealership, and I should take possession early next week.

Pictures and driving impressions will interest many. Enjoy!

To Bolt or not to bolt. Seems like we are due for an update of a recent owner? Steveyfrac are you ok?

The next Chevy electric should be called the Jolt: twice the price and three times the power!

1 person likes this

Just got off the phone with my M/B sales rep re the production date for our ED.

I'm sorry and unhappy to report it's still several months away...:(:angry:

It will still be VIN'ed as a 2017 also...

That's nuts, you were supposed to have it a month ago.  It will be a used car in terms of model year when you get it.

Why not "pull the plug" on that order and get an electric that is for sale now?  

I seriously think there are high level talks in Daimler about never introducing the 453 ED to the USA and Canada.

I'm here!  Took possession of the Bolt last week.  While it doesn't have the go cart feeling the Smart provides, it is much more powerful.  

All the extra safety features are neat.  The EV range is incredible.

-Steve

1 person likes this