Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patterson166

Won't start nor turn over

14 posts in this topic

So just picked up a 2012 for two passion with 22k miles for $3400. Has damage but no frame damage and nothing that would cause the problem I'm having. So it won't start. Put the key in everything lights up and dings turn key same thing with clicking and fuel pump activation, but doesn't even try to crank. So I charged the battery. Didn't work. Then I tried jumping the starter. Still nothing. Tried pushing it and dropping it into drive. Nope didn't work. I have no clue what the heck is wrong. All the fuses are good as well. HELP!!!!

describe how you "jumped the starter"

451 starter is very easy to get at

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I jacked up the driver side climbed under, key in on position, bumped the celanoid to the started with a screwdriver. 

Replacing a starter on a 451 is a 20 minute job. Very easy.

Now if it was the 450 - that's another story

I said the 450 is ''another story'', that means it is a 4-6 hr job - not pleasant! The dealer is known to charge over $1200

The 451 is 20 mins.

On 3/19/2017 at 11:59 PM, Patterson166 said:

I jacked up the driver side climbed under, key in on position, bumped the celanoid to the started with a screwdriver. 

did you check for power on the battery cable?

did you see a spark?..did you hear a click?...

(im assuming "bump" means you applied 12 volts to the "s" terminal on the solenoid)

Edited by LooseLugNuts

i cant help much if you dont answer questions

key position is irrelevant

its most likely the starter or solenoid...but could be the power cable

youre probably better off removing it and taking it into a rebuilder to check it out ...or last resort canadian tire and parts source wil usually do bench tests for free....i reccomend rebuilders though because they can usually fix it to like new condition for a lot cheaper than a parts seller store who just wants to get rich selling a new one

When you 'jumped' the solenoid did it spark? Also is it possible to check to see if the motor itself turns as in not being seized.

Edited by niteshooter

GetSmart

It is probably best to click on smart142 's name and send him a private message.  He might get himself in trouble promoting his business in the forum.  He is usually a pretty busy guy and may not get back to you for a day or so.  His phone numbers can also be found under the Service Options at the top of this page.

Nigel

My problem is a little different I don't have power going to the starter I can bypass harness and car starts right up do neutral safety switch tend to go bad on these things???