mismartcar

11 posts in this topic

Hi  

I have just had my 06 smart Diesel since Jan and have to replace a broken front spring!   Looks like a lot of work maybe I should change the whole strut????

Rik

Rik are you in Alaska or Ontario?  The VIN addition suggested Alaska....

Springs should be easily changed without doing anything else, unless the damper unit looks as though it's leaking.  A spring compressor would be all you need, plus a few tools and hours.

On 3/31/2017 at 3:08 PM, cadillacman said:

If you think this is a lot of work ... you've bought the wrong car ... sorry ... really ... honestly.

At this point in those cars lives, only the wealthy can afford to have professionals fix them ... and at times they will be really reluctant to do so. The $tealership reminds me of this every time I purchase any part more than $100.00 !!

That said ... I have replaced both my front springs, and at another time I have replaced both front shock units. But the entire strut assembly was still fine.

Thanks for the info!

Now that I have the front and fenders off  it looks like something I should try.

Thanks  Rik

On 3/31/2017 at 3:58 PM, Mike T said:

Rik are you in Alaska or Ontario?  The VIN addition suggested Alaska....

Springs should be easily changed without doing anything else, unless the damper unit looks as though it's leaking.  A spring compressor would be all you need, plus a few tools and hours.

Ontario

Now that I have the front and fenders off it looks like I should do the struts myself

Thanks  Rik

I have the special clamp but have never needed to use it. 

I remove top nut by accessing through the small service hatches at top without removing any body panels. 

Use air impact driver with long extension and flexible joint like seen in photo below. 

photo_2.jpg

photo_1.jpg

This way changing a front strut takes only a few minutes per side. 

Edited by tolsen

The only tricky move is removing the bearing dust caps without damaging them. I use an old wide wood working chisel. Wedge out initially with light hammer action all around. Then lever out using various thickness tools to lever against. After 15 years of working on Smart cars, I have not damaged or deformed a single front bearing dust cap. 

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

I am going to attack my parts car first ...Got the front 

off so it is easy to see everything!  B)

Rik

i dont recall having to use spring compressors when i installed new springs...they were easy enough to do by hand

using donor parts i suppose you will be swapping assembled units anyway

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Easier on Smarts made before 2003 to replace front springs if using the shorter springs. No need then for spring compressor.  Also possible with later spring if one is strong or has an assistant. Of course with lowering springs even a child can do it.