Hobbitz

Chipfat smart

5 posts in this topic

Would like to start a thread regarding running chipfat in my smart common rail, been running 75-25% for months now, with brown gas directly into the intake, very clean burn injectors are perfect, ran this setup in england for 3 years, just a heads up, will keep you posted as the weather gets warmer, the results will be cheaper :D

That is something I would not do. Check prices for replacement injectors and high pressure pump and some of you may agree. 

To err on the safe side I run Shell Premium Diesel in my Smart.  That fuel is winter ready, higher cetane, injector cleaner, and lubricant to keep the expensive fuel pump lasting longer.  On a round trip from Fergus to Toronto and back I am seeing fuel mileage of  4.5 to 3.8 Litres per 100 km, or 62 to 74 mpg.  The other bonus with this fuel is I can start the car at minus 7 Celsius without waiting on the glow plugs-- so you can add to the life of the glow plugs with higher cetane.

I'm not sold on alternative fuels yet or have any knowledge of how to do it without messing up the engine. this is my first diesel and am hesitant to mess with it much at all...lol.   But I'm all ears about this...lol.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I ran biodiesel for a few years and yes, it had benefits of less smoke and running smoother and quieter.

After changes to provincial regulations it became too difficult to procure so I switched to shell premium diesel.

Would I run waste fats in my car without the extraneous ingredients being removed through the biodiesel creation

process? No.

Edited by lebikerboy