Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SmartieParts

My smart for sale in the great US of A

106 posts in this topic

Well, we're eager to see how your delivery and what not works out... hopefully more what than not...

Well, it hasn't even gone 0.1km since Dec 29 when I took the insurance off of it - that's because of the snow (or potential thereof). Other than that it is because out here in Westbank I don't really have anywhere to go! Its about a 1 horse town (except when the smart comes out, then its 41 horses)

- Steven

What?? again? Mike pointed this out and I changed that! Hmm... I'll have another look thanks. When he pointed it out there were no bids... so if it is there again I don't know if I can change it but I'll add to the descriptions saying its not there.

- Steven

I would say to stay with the auction. The other smart (in Chicago) just went up $2,000 in the last hour. Just keep the list of the high bidders who lost in case the winning bidder bails. Don't see how you can lose. Plus ebay specifically says no outside deals...you could lose your privileges. We recently sold 160 acres on ebay for our reserve....but if he bailed, ebay lets you list again, free, I think. GOOD LUCK! Maria

Do you have a link to that smart in Chicago?

Whenever I do a search for smart (advanced or otherwise) I usually get 3000 items.......

Well, it all comes to pass.

I got a nasty phone call. Not sure if it was legit, but I've ended the eBay auction cause its not worth taking the chance if he really was who he said he was.

Anyway, you can read about it at the bottom of the ebay listing. I'm bummed.

- Steven

Thats a shame they are so close minded down there...I liked your smart vs. Hummer analogy. Even if it was a crank call it isnt worth the risk.

It still may be interesting the next time you try to enter the US in the car...

Good luck! I hope you can find a buyer and order your new car!

S

He told me that for "security" reasons he couldn't give me his full name. He gave me a phone number that sure enough got me through to some secretary at the EPA and he gave me a "case file id" but I haven't followed up any further.He had said they received complaints - so I don't think its a matter of them scouring eBay. - Steven

That sounds like a BS story to me... probably some overzealous auto union meat-head. Any idiot can dig up a phone number for the EPA.

That sucks that someone was able to find out your phone number and intimidate you like that. But i really don't think YOU were doing anything illegal. YOU were not trying to import the car to the U.S. The buyer would be. And an agent for the EPA threatening somebody in Canada falls a bit out of their jurisdiction, no?

Phone me - I want to be the EPA - my turn, my turn - I can get the wife to answer and put you through! Careful Steve - you will get put on the no-fly list tsk tsk. :oh: Sounds a bit fishy - usually such things are handled with official letters. :scowl: Well just for that I am going to go flush the toilet - take that Port Angeles and the EPA! (Victoria pumps it's sewage out to sea - right at the US - but that is another story - your car poses a much big issue!) - and when I go down there I am going to really step hard on the gas pedal - ha ha - and use high sulphur fuel and make sure I drive everywhere even if public transit is available. Vengence is ours! Beware the Beaver - I mean Marmot.... :steamed: Cheers,Cameron

I know you guys think I got suckered by some dude calling himself "official"... but when I called back, it wasn't some lady answering, "hello, EPA". It was one of those extremely impersonal automated systems first... then a receptionist. Now, that doesn't mean its not still a wacko giving me the runaround, I know... he gave me a legit number but it doesn't mean the file number thingy is real. But is it worth the risk?And it was really a last straw. I had folks threaten to "hunt me down" when I "invaded" their country (no, I'm not kidding). Its not just the Americans! I had more than one Canadian vow to alert Mercedes who will "sue me until I'm bankrupt" - that one made me laugh. I even had a guy from Germany yelling at me (ALL CAPS) because these cars cost no more than $7,000 brand new (now there's math skills).So it got me thinking.... even if this was an empty bluff, the fact of the matter is that if I didn't declare my intentions I would be smuggling and that's a crime. There's no thought police so it wouldn't have been a problem except there are literally thousands of people out there that know my intentions... several dozens of whom had an inexplicable problem with it... all it takes is one of them alerting the border and all the border has to do is wait for a smart car that has a plate that matches a VIN that I published on the internet as a car being sold in the US.My mistake, was going on eBay.Or was it ;)I already have 48 emails with offers lol - Steven

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a complaint through MB that started the business with the EPA. There probably was a complaint, that probably was a real case #, but it doesn't mean that you were talking to a rep from the EPA or that they would have found time to follow up on it. Some doorknob complained and got a file number. They've got enough genuine fires to put out without going after a little guy.However, dealing with that much negativity can be a drag. I was startled by how much of your own info you put out there for the wackos to latch onto. I used to participate heavily in the MyBC.com forums, and the lengths some of my debate opponents would go to find me was disturbing.In any event, I am sure you will get a good price for your gussied up smartie.

Steve,

This totally sucks!

You should continue your sale and not worry about a-holes who wear their tampons sticky side up...

It could easily be proven you are not doing anything illegal; everything is up to the buyer...

If he wants to buy it to import it to the US, or to sell to another Canadian, or to export back to Europe, or even to use it as a trampoline in his backyard... You are not dictating what he does with it...

You told EVERYTHING upfront, including the fact it was not registerable in the States as is...

That is like me saying I could sue the makers of RedLine or Liquid Speed because their products screw around with my already wonky sleep pattern... They listed all the warnings on the can!

I'll go and finish off my venting in the other thread about your sale...

Eddie

Tampons have a sticky side? :?

What sucks is that your auction could have ended with your car being sold to a Canadian, in which case, "Mr. EPA DeepThroat" wouldn't be able to getcha.

Hopefully the offers that come in are good enough to have you still carry through with the sale and get your Grand Style.

probably some overzealous auto union meat-head.

I suppose when you spend your entire days at home earning $32/hr while being on reserve, you start looking for things to keep yourself busy :scowl:

Was this received as an ebay message or as an email? Check the ISP and see if its even from the Washington, DC/Virginia/Maryland area. Odds are it's some 16 year old punk kid from Alabama who has eaten up everything Bush has said and believes anything being imported into the United States is Al Qaeda... even if it's a tiny french car from Canada.

It was a phone call, not an email.gotsmart - to be honest, I never thought of the "it could go to a Canadian" angle :) lol... oops.But it wouldn't have. And pulling the auction at least saved me the US$50 (40?) fee that you have to pay eBay if your reserve is met regardless of whether or not you can complete the sale (that was fineprint I hadn't read until a couple days ago)I'm not too upset about it... I was, but then I remember that I love my car. And white shows off the lettering so much better anyway... and I wasn't too sure I wanted the sunroof, etc etc etc.If it happens it happens. If it doesn't it doesn't. That was how I felt before I listed and I'm good with that now. - Steven

My guess is the car will sell private to one of the people that bid on it... just a guessing man...And you don't want the sunroof, you want the cabrio... :biglaugh: Sounds like that meathead that contacted you before is stirring up the pot.

I should have kept them all, but you wouldn't believe the number of meatheads there were after that. I had one guy claiming to be from the "Department of Legal Stuff". Another claiming to be an FBI agent (that uses hotmail). I got a kick out of most of them. Till the phone rang.