buzz271432

Airbag swap from 06 Coupe to 05 Cabrio

13 posts in this topic

Hello Peeps!

Well it has been a while since I last posted and  I'm sorry to report that "Bibit" (06 Pulse Coupe) is officially in palliative care ::crying_anim: She has served me VERY well over the last 3 years (>160,000KM), but the cost to pass Ontario Inspection is way too cost prohibitive with the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree (SAM, Driver side Airbag, Turbo, Hand brake assembly, wiper linkage, windscreen crack, etc...) so she will be put aside as a parts car. For my 2005 Pulse Cabrio (purchased last night)!

It is in excellent shape ("new" engine, turbo, alternator, clutch and actuator, SAM, ECU, muffler, full suspension and brakes - with invoices) she rides nice but it is confirmed that PAX Side Airbag is toast (according to previous owner) so...

1. is the Airbag module for the 05 Cabrio interchangeable with an 06 Coupe?
  2. Would it make more sense to swap the entire Seat Assembly (with Airbag installed) or just swap the Airbag assembly (color matches!)? Seat swap "seems" easier, atleast to me... but I have been wrong "a few" times in the past LOL.
  3. Assuming either option is good... will the SRS light go out if the "fix" works or will I still have to have the code erased "professionally?
    1. Me thinks I will be investing in a Smart compatible OBD scanner in the near future LOL
      1. Any good ones reasonably priced out there?

As always... thanks to all those who take the time to reply.

Bob

See Smartnhappy's post in this link ...... post #4022 for more information about the "drive clean" program. 

The other problems are things I'm not qualified to answer, but perhaps others will chime in to help.

The DriveClean issue may not be a problem any longer.  Re-testing is in order.

Contact Glenn (smart142) in London re airbag codes / seat swaps / code issues.

1. Yes

2. Yes, probably easier to change the whole seat.

3. Yes, the code needs to be erased by someone with a star system.

Good luck with the repair!

Thanks Glenn et all!!

I will get on it right away. I'll contact Troy Wilson to "clear" the error once complete AND get my Road Test cleared (I was told I don't need the E-Test).

As much as I like responses/instructions, I REALLY hope that moving forward I can just be a "reader" or "contributor" versus being a "needy" user LOL!! Much experience has been gained (I'm "Smarter") in the last 3 years (skill level still lacking) and I do I enjoy the "Community"!

Later guys! :3tens:

Bob

FYI - always a good idea to disconnect the battery when removing seats or playing with airbags. Just remember that you will need the radio code once you're finished with the work to reactivate the radio.

Take your time with the connections under the seat - they're German and finicky, but doable!

Thanks Glenn:

On Evilution now and they say the same!! I really hate the electrical stuff tho LOL!

I dated a German girl once... she was finicky and doable too :angel:

Bob

1 person likes this

So seat swap went very well (along with ALL standard maintenance items)... "very doable" and not so "finicky":thumbsup_still: 

Now I go on Tuesday to make sure we can clear the error code and light... then Safety Test. No E-Test is required as per Ontario Service agent (????. I didn't argue with them just said "OK"... fingers crossed that there are no other little "gremlins" lurking around, but she rides nice, straight (LOL) and is super clean (no rust anywhere). We are off to a nice start. Confident that we are off to a good start... know more next week. Worst case... new Air Bag (MB quoted $650) Evilution has the instructions to repalce that too!!

New job requires a daily commute of 225KM roundtrip so...  Bibit II had better not be "finicky" LOL!!

Atleast I have a parts car that I can rob from now, if needed

Finally... Tolsen you mentioned the Delphi DS150e (eBay has them for +/- $100)... is it just as good as the MB Star (+/-$400)?  I figure "in for a dollar, in for a pound" so... my next purchase will be a proper ODB Scanner Tool. Don't mind spending a few extra $$$ if it is justifiable.

Thanks Peeps!!

Bob

Bibit Deux.jpg

way cheaper on aliexpress or dhgate..i think mine was $40 shipped ...

works great for airbag codes and a few other things but its not as good as a star

personally ive used mine mostly for getting rid of the airbag code ..paid for itself on first use as my other scan tool did not have airbag capability (i had turned key on while seats were out not knowing it would set codes)..its also good for getting rid of the service wrenches after you do your own servicing...takes a while to figure out how to set it up though

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

Just received my Delphi DS150e from Hong Kong... spent the better part of the morning getting it loaded but finally up and running on my laptop. Will keep you posted after my next servicing (Air bag light back on) but it looks quite impressive on screen. Other than that, Bibit II is running quite well.

Fuel consumption is MUCH higher than on Bibit I (2006 Pulse Coupe). Went from a consistent 3.7-4.0 L/100KM to avg 5.0 L/100KM. I know its a 2005 Cabrio versus a 2006 Coupe but... is this normal? If I drop the roof... I'm in the 5.5L/100KM zone.

Driving style is the same, route is the same...

Troy Wilson told me that the motor on Bibit I is in great shape... I'm keeping her stored as a back-up, but do you guys think that an engine swap could make a difference or is it the 2005 Cabrio that is the issue (ie: weight, aerodynamics, etc)??

Thanks!

Bob