Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

1972 MB 300 SEL 4.5 V8

2 posts in this topic

That's the vehicle that my friend John has been working on this week.

The car is 45 years old and as expected the brake lines were pretty corroded.

He was working on the R front disc brake and the line from the caliper to the flex line was rotten.

It's a special fitting to the flex line so that piece would be hard to make.

So he asks me if I can help find a replacement.

I call the London MB dealer and told Sean, the parts guy, that I have a challenge for him.

I give him the vin and he confirms that it is for a 1972 300 SEL. OK. Then he finds the part on his computer.

I ask how much - $45 - ok - is it available?  and now the surprise - YES and it's in Toronto with a next day delivery.

That was yesterday so this morning I picked up the part and delivered it to my buddy. It was a perfect match -EXCELLENT!!  Now that's what I call support and service!!

Can only hope that the support for the smart cars will be as good! If history is an indicator it looks like it will.

But I think Smart car parts will still cost an arm and a leg, maybe until they're 45 years old.

I can just imagine what brake system or any other parts for a 2005 Smart car will cost from MB in 2050.

I'll post and let you know (course, I'll be way over 100 years old, but my Smart will keep me alive, and agrivated).