Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartnhappy

Lambeth Harvestfest Parade Sept 09, 2017

11 posts in this topic

I guess it's never too early.  I just got an e-mail from this year's co-ordinator of the Lambeth Harvestfest parade, asking if the Smart car group was once again interested in taking part.  I responded that we'd be there, as in years past.

Plan on Saturday, September 09th if you can.  I think we've become the main candy supplier to all of Lambeth :)

1 person likes this

I received official confirmation of our participation in this year's parade.

Theme for parade is Canada150 (naturally), so they're looking for as much red & white as possible.

Think about it.  Be creative.

More info as it becomes available.

The parade is still on for Saturday September 09th.

The historic post-parade BBQ event at Glenn & Liz's won't be held this year, as they'll be touring the west of Canada.

Maybe a get-together post-parade at  Crossings OR The Wayside is in order..

We'll see which one is best able to handle our group.  Any favourites between the two ??

Let's see where you'd like to go.

Sorry for the delay in kickoff information.  I only received it today at 4:00.

Our Smart Car group forms up in front of #96 Sunray Ave.

We're slotted in behind B&G Pet Foods and ahead of HullyGully.

Organizers would like to have everybody in place by 9:30AM for an organized, on-time 10AM start.

As in years past, please think SAFETY at all times, as kids will dart out for candy.

And a reminder that peanuts and any nut products are banned from the parade.

See y'all tomorrow morning.  I might be at the pancake breakfast at the Community Centre.

Ya just never know.

The weather was absolutely perfect, the crowds of the youngsters and the young at heart were out in force.  The actual parade started a few minutes late, but not a big deal really.

Bill's spotless Canada 1 was easy to see. What saddens me is that this thread has been open since May 1st and only 2 smarts showed up.  Some of the crowd were very complimentary towards the cars and we were getting thumbs up from a lot of the spectators.

This is an event that we (Spike & I) have taken part in every year but one since I bought my first smart. (that one, the event was not run due to issues which had nothing to do with the smart car group)  It is something we (Spike & I) look forward to each year and will continue to participate in as long as we are welcome by the organizers.

Too bad we were only a group of 2.  I hope Dot can post pictures of our entire group. :)

We ended up each taking one side of the streets we travelled.

More efficient this way, but I had candy left over, as I'm sure Ron did.

There was no sign-up sheet for the parade this year, as there was over 4 months advanced notice.

And, as in years past, some would sign up and not come or back out just prior.

I wonder whether participation in this event, and some others, has run its course for most of the area Smart owners.

Interest in our outings is on the decline as owners age, move away and Smart cars disappear.

Lets see what the rest of this year brings.

Watch the postings and come out if you can.

Ciao 

Yup it's all waning.  It'll be another 25 years before interest regrows.  Similar trajectory to the market value of the cars ;) We've seen that on this Island I live on, which at one point had the largest per capita population of smarts in Canada, with Calgary a close second.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Better late than never, I suppose. Obviously, I didn't need the wide angle lens for the group shot.  I only had a chance to take a couple of photos before the parade, because once it started, I was busy tossing candies (and the occasional dog biscuit) to the younger members of the crowd and the 4-legged critters lining the parade route.

Smarts at Lambeth - 2017 01.jpg

Smarts at Lambeth - 2017 02.jpg

Edited by Spike
2 people like this

Thanks for the pictures Dot.

I have a new hobby..... eating caramels.  Let's just say I have a few left over from the parade.

There's a workout aspect to it.  You have to unwrap every one.  Probably a healthy treat, net, net.

Except for the sticky fingers. ;)

I just rec'd this from the Lambeth Harvestfest Parade organizing committee.

Yay Ron & Dot and Bill..... :)

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Hello to all Harvestfest Parade Participants, 

We have received very positive feedback from the Lambeth Community about the parade this year. Some even said;

“Best Harvestfest Parade ever”.

We want to thank you all for your participation, creativity, music and especially co-operation in entertaining the families in our LambethCommunity. 

From Brian Moore, Joan Boyce, Dean Clayworth and Elli Westeinde  (the Parade Volunteers) and this years Lambeth Harvestfest Committee we sincerely thank you all for your entertaining contribution to a very successful“Canada 150” celebration.

We trust that you also had fun participating in our annual event and we extend our invitation for you to participate and join us again next year. 

When we decide next year’s theme we will be in touch with the details. Any suggestions and/or comments are always welcome as we look forward to next year’s Harvestfest.

Sincerely,

Brian, Joan, Dean and Elli.