Silver

Some dummies never learn

18 posts in this topic

So after supporting a 450 for a decade or so, I figured an ED would be great. Wrong. It's been in the shop for seven working days so far (with no idea of when I'll get it) waiting for a module that supplies the 12V.

Do masochists die or is it their fate to suffer for ever?

Expectations on the availability of parts for the Smart ED should be tempered by the fact so few have been sold.  

Only hundreds in Canada, and most in Toronto and Quebec (fortunately for you).

Parts specific to the electric drive usually need time to be sent from Germany.

As for me, I've replaced a $3 rear tail light bulb myself, that is the sum of all the maintenance I've needed on my car, so experiences vary.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Love to hear the details Silver.      Ours has had some work done under warranty, but never more than 1/2 a day:

• Replaced seals on coolant pump
  • Fixed bleeder valve on differential
  • Regular services (desiccant cartridge replacement)

Hopefully your dealer isn't taking you for a ride!

Are you talking about the power converter from HV battery to 12V ?

Edited by Blaine

My Smart ED tenure is coming to an end in a few weeks.

I had one issue that needed repair, some breather tube on the differential.

I can't really complain.  Not really any noticible battery degradation, despite three years of beating the tar out of it, and nearly 50k kms.

1 person likes this

Ours is similar.  About 42k km, charged twice a day after discharging 50% etc. 

Probably going to buy it out since it saves us about $2000 a year in gasoline.    In a few years it will have paid for itself.

I ended up buying a Bolt, because my new commute will be outside of the range of the Smart, especially in the winter.

Plus, the Bolt is *FAST*.

2 people like this

My ED is a 2013. I believe it is the HV to 12V. I phoned this A.M. to find out status. Service writer said he will ask Mercedes, srill in the dark.

Sorry to hear that.     At one point there was an ED at a wrecking yard near Montreal, which could be an alternative in the worst case.

What kind of behaviour did you see before you took it for service?    Was it just that it didn't start?

17 hours ago, steveyfrac said:

I ended up buying a Bolt, because my new commute will be outside of the range of the Smart, especially in the winter.

Plus, the Bolt is *FAST*.

Did you have to put in an order a while ago?    Last I spoke with a GM saleswonk they were quoting an 8 month wait time.   Which put me off it.

We liked it when we test drove the car at the autoshow.  Roomy, nice feature set, good pickup, etc.    The regen was quite different, but I could get used to it.

I would seriously consider a Bolt, especially if they put fast chargers along major highway routes.

1 hour ago, Blaine said:

Did you have to put in an order a while ago?    Last I spoke with a GM saleswonk they were quoting an 8 month wait time.   Which put me off it.

We liked it when we test drove the car at the autoshow.  Roomy, nice feature set, good pickup, etc.    The regen was quite different, but I could get used to it.

Oh yes, I ordered in February, and I hunted around for a dealership that hadn't filled its third allocation yet.  Nearly 6 month wait, even with that.

5 minutes ago, Mike T said:

I would seriously consider a Bolt, especially if they put fast chargers along major highway routes.

Are you familiar with EVCO?  Ontario is installing 200 fast chargers along major highways!  Hopefully BC does something similar.

6 minutes ago, Mike T said:

Since we got the ED the number of DCFC in Ontario has increased dramatically (x10+).    From looking at plugshare it seems like BC has fairly good coverage on the TC, parts of highway 3 and in the okanagan valley.     Given the 383 km range on the Bolt you're likely to be fine.   

Sadly, Alberta is a bit of a wasteland with respect to DCFC.   There are a bunch of L2 chargers at good locations though.  All over BC and AB.

So far BC is weak on this.  And I do go into Alberta quite regularly.

Eventually what I would like to do is give the Fiesta to one kid, maybe also give the smart to another, sell or scrap the Mercedes and then only have the Peugeot 404C and an electric.  This is like 10 years from now.

2 hours ago, steveyfrac said:

Are you familiar with EVCO?  Ontario is installing 200 fast chargers along major highways!  Hopefully BC does something similar.

For the folks in Ontario the EVCO program isn't, thankfully, the only source of expansion.   The program managers put too many eggs in one basket (KSI) and they've delivered less than 1/2 their committed installs.  Fortunately most of the others have met their commitments.     In theory there will be another round of funding this year for EVCO.    Its turning out to be a pretty cost effective use of taxpayer dollars. 

Scotia Bank seems to have their own program to install DCFC at branches.  AddEnergie from QC is expanding their Flo network into Ontario, and Canadian Tire is also partnering to put chargers in their Gas+ locations.    With any luck they'll do this nationally. 

On 2017-5-6 at 3:00 PM, Blaine said:

For the folks in Ontario the EVCO program isn't, thankfully, the only source of expansion.   The program managers put too many eggs in one basket (KSI) and they've delivered less than 1/2 their committed installs.  Fortunately most of the others have met their commitments.     In theory there will be another round of funding this year for EVCO.    Its turning out to be a pretty cost effective use of taxpayer dollars. 

Scotia Bank seems to have their own program to install DCFC at branches.  AddEnergie from QC is expanding their Flo network into Ontario, and Canadian Tire is also partnering to put chargers in their Gas+ locations.    With any luck they'll do this nationally. 

KSI is definitely running late, for sure.  But they'll still have to finish up if they want to get in on more funding...

I hope all these other networks also expand.  More chargers is better!

Posted (edited) · Report post

IKEA in Etobicoke was supplementing their Level 2 chargers with brand-new DCFC units last time i was there. Impressive!

The only issue i’ve had with my ED was the gearbox making an unpleasant noise from about the 15-month mark. They replaced it under warranty, but it did take 2-3 weeks. Oh, and the included EVSE died, also replaced under warranty, no questions asked. 

My lease is up in September, and since I’m in downtown Toronto, and well-served by TTC, GO Transit, Zipcar and Car2go, i’m going to go carless for a while, and see how it goes. The cost of buying out the lease (or leasing something else) plus insurance will go a LONG way with public transit and car sharing.

Edited by darren
2 people like this