Lito

One wrench service overdue and warranty question

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

OK, so I am looking at this 2015 with 17,000+ km on it, and the first thing I noticed is the flashing wrench in the dashboard, which suggests it did not get the 15K service.

Now, the car is in all other respects OK and the price seems inline ($8,288 - tried to negotiate but they would not budge), but I am wondering if the fact that the car has gone over a couple of thousand kilometres over the maintenance schedule would have a negative impact on the warranty.

I guess I should call Mercedes with this question, but I am guessing you guys probably know as much or more than the dealers ;)

http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/smart/fortwo/Ottawa/Ontario/5_31055083_ON20080305113442633/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=3_15_8

Walk away, they're a dime a dozen and underserviced cars should be avoided like the plague.

10 minutes ago, Mike T said:

Walk away, they're a dime a dozen and underserviced cars should be avoided like the plague.

I agree on the underserviced, but... dime a dozen?! I found this car to be around 20% below typical asking price. I don't know if the other guys are getting anything like the asking, but...

Still, I do welcome your advice!

Did you check the oil level?

If it's on the dip stick and clean, I doubt the engine would be damaged.

At that price I would be tempted.

I didn't mean they're cheap (though they should be with all the Car2Gos being dumped on the used market and the pullout), but there are 15,000+ 451s in Canada to choose from.

41 minutes ago, Mike T said:

I didn't mean they're cheap (though they should be with all the Car2Gos being dumped on the used market and the pullout), but there are 15,000+ 451s in Canada to choose from.

I'll have to look deeper ;)

8 minutes ago, tolsen said:

A six speed 451?

I wish!

No, it is a 5 speed. It even looks the same as what I have, but mine is a 2009 and now it ash over 117K on it.

They say it is 2015 Pure which it appears to be.  In the lower write up, they are giving engine and transmission specs for a 2016 Pure.  I don't think I would give my business to a dealer that does not know what he is selling.

30 minutes ago, 1983JZR3W said:

They say it is 2015 Pure which it appears to be.  In the lower write up, they are giving engine and transmission specs for a 2016 Pure.  I don't think I would give my business to a dealer that does not know what he is selling.

That is correct. They have no clue what the car is. They actually have conflicting info from place to place. I think they used a template from another car for the ad.

If their stupidity is my loss, I'd be with you on not dealing with them. However, if I do my research and due diligence and their ignorance benefits me, I will not argue ;)

FWIW, the service interval display may just mean the previous owner didn't bother to reset it. :)

18 hours ago, Lito said:

BTW, on a different league all together, but what do you make of this ad? 

http://www.luxuryautoimports.ca/certified/smart/2016-smart-fortwo-b47d27b70a0e0a3b77cdcf2a06184a71.htm

I thought that the Passion trim would include things like seat warmers and cruise control, but by the looks of the ad/pics I am not too sure.

I wish I could be of more help, but I am afraid I am not really familiar with the specs of the new 453.  I am not sure which model includes what features as standard equipment.  Someone will be along shortly to give you the info you need on the 453.  Good luck on whatever you decide.

Well, it looks like that one is now gone anyway. Thank you for the help!

FYI, in the end I went to Montreal because there were so many more options available by doing just 200 Km.

For the first time ever, I bought at a dealer and I have to say it was (so far) a very pleasant experience. I ended up with this guy: Certified Pre-Owned 2015 smart fortwo coupe fortwo 2-Door Coupe ... plus a set of used winters, for $9250. Warranty extended until July 2020 included.

Now I have to call Troy who had graciously agreed to check out the first car I talked about, which now stays at the Ottawa dealer for someone else to worry about ;)

Thank you all for your thoughts and feedback!

PS. I guess I better publish another thread in for sale soon :) Taking possession of the new smart next Thursday.