PikaChew

HELP - MY SMART CAR IS IN A COMA

5 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone - I've been checking out this forum for a few months and finally decided to pull the trigger join up in hopes someone can help me out. I own a 2005 Smart diesel that I didn't use all winter and now that warmer weather is here I tried starting it up and its completely dead. I tried hooking up a battery charger over night and still nothing. Any suggestions? Anyone else from Oakville Ontario?

Buy a new battery.  If the one in the car was discharged for any time, the battery is toast.

The battery probably is toast but put a set of booster cables on it first and see if you get any lights.  If you do and you don't without the cables either the battery is junk or the terminals are dirty.

Nigel

Starter battery will go flat when car sits for  four to six weeks depending on battery condition to start with. 

Expect alternator to have seized up solid. That can be fixed by attempting turning it on its pulley. You may need to work it for a while before alternator spins freely. Work it with belt off.  Spraying penetration oil into its winding helps but it is the elbow grease that does the job.