Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrGadget

How-To: Add a Washer Nozzle to your Wiper Arm

113 posts in this topic

or, how to improve window washer spray pattern by downgrading...

I got fed up with the incredibly bad spray pattern of the standard Smart nozzle and found out that the old generation has two nozzles on the left wiper arm.

Searched and found the right parts for it:

Q 0001566V002 000000 D?se Wischerarm (Nozzle Washer arm) 1 pcs

(contains nozzle clamp with attached hose)

Q 0003914V002 000000 Verbindungsstue (Connection piece) 1 pcs

(a small plastic connector pipe in a tweaked Y-shape.)

You will also need

Torx tools size 20, 25 and 30

A small flat screwdriver

A large flat screwdriver

An piece of flexible hose about 50 cm in length and 8mm outer diameter

A T-connector pipe, to connect the old hose and the hose from the washer fluid pump with the new hose.

and preferably a warm garage with good lighting to do all the magic in.

1.Unscrew the antenna

2.Remove the covers for the air intake and fluid fill just below windshield. Also remove black air intake filter from driver side.

3.Remove side indicators by pushing them forward and lifting back end out first. Remove lamp with 90 degree twist.

4.Remove frontpanel according to these instructions:

http://website.lineone.net/~simon.llewelly.../Chapter_12.htm

Beware that the Torx under the delta shaped black cover panel in front of side mirrors may be very tight...

Also, the Torx to remove this panel will spin, so grab a small pipe wrench and gently pull on the outer rim, it'll come out a bit and make it possible to unscrew the Torx.

5.Remove black plastic crossbar in centre (3 screws)

Posted Image

6.Remove the three screws holding the driver side headlight, no need to disconnect, just move aside.

Posted Image

7.Push 8mm hose onto pipe under left washer arm

Posted Image

8.Clamp 8mm hose

Posted Image

9.Cut old hose and connect with T-connector according to picture

Posted Image

10.Flip up cover over washer arm joint

Posted Image

11. Push connection piece down hole in left washer arm base. There is a hole in the connection piece on a small tab that must be aligned with the corresponding pin on left washer arm base. (Will replace with something sharper tomorrow...)

Posted Image

12.Use a large flat screwdriver to gently push connection piece down in place.

13.Find small bump on left washer arm

14.Align hole in nozzle clamp with bump on arm and snap clamp around arm.

Posted Image

15.Push hose onto connection piece (see image point 11)

16.Align hose with cutout in washer arm cover

17.Close cover

18.Tie hose to washer arm with tie straps to avoid unnecessary flapping, wear and tear.

19.Test spray

20.Fix any obvious leaks

21.Install frontpanel (removal in reverse)

22.Go for a testdrive!

:tremble:

This is great! I just looked, and yup, that hole is definately there on the left wiper arm! I so want to do this!

-Iain

Great stuff! Now to see if we can get the parts here. I wonder if this would be as good with the vertical wiper mod...

Thanks for sharing!

S

Looks great. So, what was the total cost of the parts? Did the two parts that you described come from Europe?

EDITED: I just realized that you are not from Canada. Sorry. I'm not the smartest one around here :cheeky:

People - make sure to post if you can or can't get the parts here. If you can't, then I have a thought: I have a contact in the UK that will sell me OEM parts. It doesn't make sense for parts that you can get here, but we'd save shipping at least if we order everything at once. There are some items I'd like to get so I'd be more than happy to tag on these parts too. But its best to first see if we can dig them up here.

- Steven

I am totally on-board with this if we need a group Uk buy!

I have asked my dealer if they can get the parts - they're looking into it.

[later that same day....]

Part #1, "nozzle waser arm" is in the Canadian system but not in stock.

Part #2, "connection fitting" is not in the system and must be ordered from overseas.

So sayeth the Kelowna smart Centre parts department.

Steven,

If you want to make a group-purchase list for these parts, put me on it please.

P.S. I think this would be the bee's knees to go along with the vertical-park mod!

P.P.S. I think this nozzle mod could quite easily be done through the vent.

Do it through the vent?

We tried it, but quickly discarded that idea. It was extremely difficult to get to the pipe on the underside of the washer mount and push a hose on it with the head light in place. We found it hard enough to get that hose on with everything removed as shown....

But then again I've been proven wrong before :-)

What about putting a "Y" junction in the tube and having BOTH the wiper arm mount AND the nib spraying? That seems like the best of both worlds, theoretically.

There may not be enough pressure for both, but its worth finding out! Even a significant loss of pressure should still be ok since I find that's the problem with the stock setup - it shoots right over my car! (possibly) good idea Mike! - Steven

Ditto I find there is far too much pressure in the system as is....this would help make all parts more effective.....and help use up more than a gallon of washerfliud in a year.....it falls from the skies here or it is so dry and sunny....like today.S

I'm pretty sure isn't that what the T-connection is for? To split the fluid from the nib to also include the arm?-Iain

The original smarts didn't have a sprayer nib, just the arm....

Me and Mr Gadget did the whole thing in about 30 min, and the results are fantastic.

We decided to use a T-connection in order to get the best result (wiper arm and nib).

The pressure is not an issue, the only drawback so far is that it takes about 1/2 sec longer for the pressure to build up in the wiper hose. But you quickly forget about this as you get a clean windscreen!!!

Does it use more washerfluid?

Well actually less, as you don?t have to spray the windshield as much anymore.

Steven,

If you want to make a group-purchase list for these parts, put me on it please.

I'd be in for that.

Like Duck said, the T connector split the fluid to both the nib and the nozzle on the arm. An Y-connector would work just as well. And there is plenty of pressure in the system, so that is not a problem.

So if you do the mod you will have water from your arm and through the nib.

I am totally on-board with this if we need a group Uk buy!

Add me to the list if you go ahead with a group order.

I will run the part #'s by TPM early next week and see if we can get them here - just for a benchmark - what are they selling for in Sweden?

Apparently the nozzle puts out 3 streams - one above the wiper and 2 below to wet the following blade. Should make for an ideal spread of washer fluid.

Cheers,

Cameron

Speedie,

I think that was about 170SEK for the Smart parts total.

What we could observe when mounting and test spraying was two nozzles, one above and one below blade.

That combined with the old nozzle gives 5 sprays on the window wich will keep it squeaky clean att at all times.

Speedie,

I think that was about 170SEK for the Smart parts total.

What we could observe when mounting and test spraying was two nozzles, one above and one below blade.

That combined with the old nozzle gives 5 sprays on the window wich will keep it squeaky clean att at all times.

That's about $25.00 Canadian, thanks MrGadget.

The pressure is not an issue, the only drawback so far is that it takes about 1/2 sec longer for the pressure to build up in the wiper hose.

There is a way to stop that and have the water on demand.

When you stop spraying the arm jet is higher than the nib nozzle so gravity empties the tube to the wiper arm, if you fit an inline non return valve it will stop this happening.

I have often considered this mod but wasn't aware the means where pretty much there already, looks like this will appear on my page pretty soon.

An anti-siphon valve might be troublesome in very cold weather. Fluid may gel in the exposed tubing. I've had that sort of problem in the past, even with -40* rated washer fluid.

Of course, if there were some way to heat the washer fluid.... :biglaugh:

You can get a check valve - Think Canadian Tire sells them - they use them on the rear wipers for Jeeps, Vans etc. to keep the washer fluid from running back down.

Thanks for the price MrGadget - I will check it out next week here.

Cheers,

Cameron

Of course, if there were some way to heat the washer fluid.... :biglaugh:

If it ever arrives :cry2:

At the moment i'm gonna need a bit of tubing about 1000 miles long. :biglaugh:

Gee Bil,

You must not be following the Canadian Tire fliers - they have had WW fluid heaters on sale for about $35 the last couple of weeks. :biglaugh:

Cheers,

Cameron