OlliRock

Limp mode issue

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I got a limp mode issue. I know this is a common subject but I didn't found any one that reflect my situation.

I own a Fortwo 2006 CDI diesel and everytime the outside temperature goes over about 5 degree Celsius and above, when I start the car, it's into limp mode right away. OR, if the outside temperature is under 5 degree, it will be ok but if I drive the car for a while stop the engine, after I start it back, it goes to limp mode.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Have you checked for error codes on an OBDIi reader?  That is the first step.

I would bet that the EGR is the cause of the problem.

The valve or the solenoid? Is there a step by step procedure somewhere to remove the EGR valve and try to clean it? Cause I've tried to remove it and there's too many wires and tubes over it, I'm not very sure how to get in there... I've been able to remove the solenoid, cleaned it and it doesn't changed anything...

Thanks,

i had problems frequently thru the summer months, both this last summer and the one before: while trying to shift, usually up from 3rd to 4th gear, it seems to power down and then i end up in limp mode. All i can do then is pull over (or wait until i pull up to a red light/stop sign), and restart the car. There seems to be no rhyme or reason: shifting too soon or too late, humid or dry weather, up hill or down hill or along a straight away, etc. I have found, tho, that this happens more in the hotter months and virtually not at all in the cooler ones. AND just recently, i experienced my first (in my 14 year old car) back fire (yeech). But since then, absolutely no problem! I wonder if that back fire was curative, somehow. Could it have cleared out the valve?