Wild!

Brake Upgrade

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Installed S-Mann front brakes, turned out ok. Some modification was needed for it to work. Now waiting on front 16" rims. I have done the rear ones but not quite Finish them yet.

IMG_2837.jpeg

IMG_2838.jpeg

Edited by Wild!
1 person likes this

stock master?

just wondering because it looks like you might have to push more fluid into those than the stock calipers

The calliper looks big, but it has 6 pistons and they graduate in size as they go along. The aluminum plate on the front is a 6mm spacer, 

Posted (edited) · Report post

but does the surface area of those 6 pistons add up to something close of the surface area of the stock one?

i just remember parting out an 80's era camaro once with rare (at the time) rear disk brakes and the guy who bought the rear end wanted the original master cylinder ...if i remember right when i looked it up he was right they were different than the rear drum model ..the master was set up to move more fluid to the back 

either way i guess if the pedal doesnt travel farther and the rear doesnt lock up too soon i guess its ok

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Talked to one of the people at S-Mann and there should be no issue with the conversion. As for the total surface area of all six in the front looks to be about 20% larger.

An expensive and unnecessary mod. Price 1100 Euro plus freight plus tax. I see S-Mann only sell these as complete kits. Separate rotors and pads are not listed on the S-Mann site. Would indicate you need to renew the lot when pads go thin. 

Pads and rotors can be purchased by them self, or just ask the name that is its replacement and they will tell you.  This mod was done for a specific reason and I still have a way to go. I will post more as time go on.

On 24/06/2017 at 2:06 AM, tolsen said:

An expensive and unnecessary mod. Price 1100 Euro plus freight plus tax. I see S-Mann only sell these as complete kits. Separate rotors and pads are not listed on the S-Mann site. Would indicate you need to renew the lot when pads go thin. 

Very helpful...:blink:

It turns out 1100 Euro is price for the standard down market set. Their top set is  much dearer nearly 1400 Euro. 

Who care if he got what he want ??

Did he paid that with your money ??

1 person likes this

What is wrong with these?

ATE:
ATE.jpg

Bolk:
Bolk.jpg

Bosch:
Bosch.jpg

Febi:
Febi.jpg

Hella:
Hella.jpg

TRW:
TRW1.jpg

TRW2.jpg

1 person likes this

Let's all confess what we have "wasted" money on now.

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, tolsen said:

What is wrong with these?

ATE:
ATE.jpg

Bolk:
Bolk.jpg

Bosch:
Bosch.jpg

Febi:
Febi.jpg

Hella:
Hella.jpg

TRW:
TRW1.jpg

TRW2.jpg

I recently renewed brake shoes, springs, adjusters and wheel cylinders on my 450. I also renewed rotors and pads same time.  What an amazing improvenent in braking efficiency!

Parts inclusive of p&p cost just below £100. 

Now coming to my point. I have seen at least a dozen Smart 450 with excessive brake pedal travel caused by rear shoes being incorrectly fitted.  I have concluded the mechanics had fitted the brake shoe sets as they came boxed and shown in photos above (note only one set is correctly assembled).

Please prove that you are sufficiently smart to spot what is wrong. 

My poor calipers:

MyRustyCalipers.jpg

Photo was shot about four years ago. These calipers still work fine. 

So I can't buy a Lamborghini because my Civic still work good ??

I stop, but you see my point ?

Edited by David_18

You can't buy a Lambo because you're not a drug dealer!

5 hours ago, tolsen said:

My poor calipers:

MyRustyCalipers.jpg

Photo was shot about four years ago. These calipers still work fine. 

A wee bit of elbow grease, paint, seal kit and stainless steel bleed nipples and presto you have brand new calipers:

MyRustyCalipers.jpg

NoMoreRustyCalipers.jpg

DSC04055.jpg

Total rebuild cost not including the minimal amount of elbow grease about £30.

Paint used is marine two pack epoxy of the type used to protect ballast tanks on ships and oil rigs.

My little smart isn't going to be my every day car, At this point in time the amount of money that has been spent so far is to the point of almost insanity. but this is my last build and my favorite one.

When it is finish I'm going to play!

4 people like this

A labour of love it is!!! You are not alone, many do it. Yesterday I drove beside a 1949 Ford pick up - it was gorgeous!!!

It had been TOTALLY restored and I'm sure the proud owner had toured tens of thousands of dollars into this vehicle.

I think its great to have people that have the time and resources to do this. They enjoy it and the many people that see the finished product!

Some day I will get to see Wild's special smart and there is no doubt that it will be spectacular!

These are the rear brakes. The discs on here are the original fronts for the smart other than the orange bell housing

IMG_2839.jpeg

IMG_2844.jpeg

2 people like this

Wow... i'm intrigued by this project! Just be careful stomping on the pedal with those huge calipers. You definitely don't want to go nose down when there isn't much nose to stop ya!

8 hours ago, darren said:

Wow... i'm intrigued by this project!

This is only a small part of Wild's project. The whole is mind blowing!!!!   Stay tuned!!!!

1 person likes this