tolsen

Photobucket

6 posts in this topic

Regrettably from 30 June 2017 Photobucket has effectively stopped all my photos from being viewed on this and many other forums.  Same will apply to all other users of Photobucket that are not willing to fork out $399 per annum to allow third party hosting.

SmartDriversTaxDiscNoNumber-1.jpg

Copied from Wikipedia:

On June 28, 2017, Photobucket changed its Terms of Use regarding free accounts and third party hosting (hosting on forums, eBay, etc). Only the most expensive plan, at $399.99 per year, now permits third party hosting and linking to forums, etc.[11] Even a day later the site broke links to billions of pictures that were posted online. Photobucket sent out no emails to warn users of this change. This resulted in millions of users being forced to ether pay up to restore links or find alternatives. Somewhere between 200 million to 1 billion picture links on forums and Twitter, etc. are broken and replaced with a "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" message.

This new business model has caused thousands of forum DIY's and write-ups with explanatory pictures to be rendered useless. Photobucket has not had any new accounts created on their site since this new change took place.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photobucket

It sounds to me like they're on the cusp of imploding. 

Yes, so the $399 US would probably wisp away with nothing to show for it.  Try Flickr.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Photobucket's new business model has caused millions (not thousands as stated by Wikipedia) of forum DIY's and write-ups with explanatory pictures to be rendered useless. 

I started using postimage.org last year because Photobucked was getting far to slow and overloaded with annoying advertising and pop ups.

Changing all existing photos over to postimage.org is an impossible task that may take years to complete as all posts will have to be corrected with new image links. 

Edited by tolsen

I've been using forums for years, and Photobucket has always been a huge pain in the ass, with no business model to ensure the long-term viability of the platform. 

Photobucket wasn't worth it when it was free. Now that they've jumped on the greed train, I moved to Tinypic and like it 100% better.