Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

For some millennials, minimalism is the path to happiness

4 posts in this topic

Brenda Bouw

Special to The Globe and Mail

1 person likes this

I apparently don't fit into the GenX crowd or the Millenial crowd (Xennials, anyone?), but I can see this being true. If we could live in a Tiny House actually, I'd love it, but apparently, there are no real regulations that allow for them in Greater Vancouver (and plenty of regulations that will have them telling you to get rid of it).

My husband and I and our three dogs live in <650 square feet (1-bedroom). It is quite honestly plenty of space (at least when you include the storage locker downstairs; I couldn't survive the hockey-gear smell in our apartment that's for sure). When we were in a two-bedroom place (and at one point a 3-bedroom townhouse) a couple of years ago, I found us with entire sections of the apartment that were never, ever touched, and it just felt like a waste. Since we had the space, I kept buying more stuff to fill it! (the stuff I threw out or gave away when we went to the 650 sq-ft range was outrageous).  I also tend not to be nostalgic and I'm not much of a collector, throwing out anything that hasn't been touched in 6 months unless it actually will have a long-term use I can hang my hat on. On top of it, we're child-free (the choice to never have children), so we're pretty minimal on the human population ;)

That being said, I like my share of 'stuff'. Electronics are my thing, photos for the wall are nice, rugs, figurines (some, not many), and the closet may be small but I will stuff it full of clothes. So I guess there are different levels of minimalism, or maybe different styles of minimalism. These people seem to have decent space when I 'toured' their homes online, just not much in that space. Me, well I have a small space with plenty in it using the space efficiently. And hey, we still have two cars. But I have a not-so-secret addiction to housing shows on HGTV, and when I see people complaining about a bedroom being 'too small' which may actually be the size of my entire apartment, I just can't wrap my head around it. 

To each their own though.

1 person likes this

"Tiny houses" are 100% permitted, if and only if they meet the provisions of the Building Code.  The vast majority don't - being built without consideration of the Code - and therefore are not permitted by municipalities.  Also, if they're on wheels or skids, that is an occupant safety/liability issue too, so unless the CSA certifies them as part of their CSA MH series and they're permanently anchored to the ground, there is no way to approve them.

I think that's been the issue I've seen, tiny houses on wheels. I think the whole 'mobility' part is a big part of the attraction of tiny living, the idea of not necessarily being tied to one place in addition to not being anchored by a ton of extra house you don't even need.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the years.