Kat

Buying Used

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a 2014 Fortwo ED with 5000 miles. My question to the group is this: how much of a gamble would I be taking if I decided not to pay the $80/month battery insurance fee? Am I crazy to think that it sounds rediculous to pay out $960 dollars a year for 6 or 7 years just to then have to pony up another $5000 to replace the battery. It would be fine if Mercedes promised to provided significant software or battery upgrades with this insurance, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Buying a car and keeping a car long term doesn't appear to be what it used to be. 😕 

Thanks,

Kat

Edited by Kat
Left out model info.

Welcome to the club.

I think there have been 1 or 2 reports of battery replacements on smart Car Of America.  Current quoted replacement costs of the ED battery are many times more than $5000.

Just today our office's 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid - 88,000 km - may have just lost its integrated motor assist battery (a small one) and the part costs $6000.

Another one from 2009 in the office fleet had its battery fail under the last days of warranty.

As a "bonus", apparently the check engine light stays on when the IMA battery is dead.  Like, duh....