Munch

Help with tyres

6 posts in this topic

Hi am new to smart and hi to you all can you help .my smart is crap in corners so put a set of stock rear wheels on front they rubbed so put new tyres on 165/45/15 drives bloody brilliant but abs seems to come on whenever I brake and revs all over the place when I take foot of revs ,do i need to change rear tyres to same size as front to sort this !!!!!!

165/45R15 is miles from an OE size of tire for any smart.  What year and model do you own?

The best solution for compromise between economy and handling is 175/55-15 front and 195/50-15 rear on wider wheels.

Your ESP and ABS are going nuts because the circumference difference between front and rear is too large.  The car "thinks" it's always skidding.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

The smart is 2003 fourtwo am about to lower it as well the tyres are stretch at the front a bit so as to keep the tread in the wheel are am getting it to handle like a gocart having a lot of fun playing so what I need is same size tyre front n back and problem sorted !??

Edited by Munch
More discription

The offset of the rear wheel is the reason they rub when placed on the front.  There are steel and alloy wheel sets that would permit 175/55R15 to 195/40R16 to be run on the fronts.  Evolution.co.uk, lists all the available OE wheels for the 450 smart.  I run Roadster steel front wheels on my 450 with 175/55R15 all around.

1 person likes this