Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leadwing

Looking for opinions

7 posts in this topic

I'll set the stage.

The car recently had an adjustment done to the actuator by a knowledgeable smart guru after the following incident occurred. 

The symptoms were as follows:

• Driving normally on a Friday afternoon and staying with the flow of traffic.
  • Check engine light and orange light with exclamation mark ( ! ) in a triangle came on.
  • When stopped at an intersection and ready to go forward, accelerator was pressed and the revs climbed to about 3,000 RPM before suddenly engaging and either stalling or 'jack-rabbit' starting.  Kinda like taking a normal standard tranny and revving it before jamming it into gear WITHOUT the clutch!   I was worried about possible damage to the drive train at this point.
  • Managed to nurse it home and parked it until it could be inspected.
  • When the guru had time to look at it, I carefully drove it to him.  The actuator was serviced and codes cleared.
  • Drove home without incident.

That was yesterday.  Today, it happened again, only this time, without the Check Engine Light .. just the exclamation mark ( ! ) in a triangle.

• Driving at the posted speed limit (80kph), I approached my village where the speed limit is 50kph.
  • Foot off the accelerator anticipating the lower speeds.
  • Revs at this point were about 2,800 RPM.
  • Gentle pressure on the accelerator to match the downshift
  • Shifted down one gear and BANG! CLUNK! ..... Oh Crap, here we go again.

Any constructive input is welcome as to what it might be and how to fix it.

What were the codes that were cleared?

When you say like revving a manual and jamming it into gear without the clutch, you mean the gears were grinding?

It sounds as though it's either an internal mechanical fault or a wiring problem (chafed).

The original codes are with Glenn.  I have not had a chance to get it back to him yet. (I do not own a scangauge)

Gears were not grinding ........... I guess a better description would be a normal standard tranny and having the foot slip off the clutch pedal ...  just suddenly engaging.  Sometimes it stalls, sometimes it just leaps forward.  The smart requires about 3,000 RPM to engage while this problem exists.  Normally, it engages just slightly above the idle.

I will look into the chafing possibilities when I can get it up on a hoist. 

Thanks Mike .. gives me something else to check

1 hour ago, Leadwing said:

just the exclamation mark ( ! ) in a triangle.

to me, that is the disturbing part

It says that the ECU knows there is a trouble that it ties to the ESC (electronic stability control) I wouldn't think that the clutch actuator would be involved in that ... unless it senses that the lack of control 'of the clutch' means it could not totally cut torque if it needed to.

the evilution page for 3Bars, mentions a possibility of the clutch throw bearing seized in a closed position, this could fit your circumstance IF it was catching/seizing/binding in an OPEN position, and then releasing, with vibration, simulating a foot-slip off a clutch pedal

The problem with the seized bearing idea is that the actuator and ECU wouldn't know about it, if it was seized in the fully open position, as the actuator would operate as normal.

Chafed wires are still the best bet, but I would think that it would not be a slam-close event

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎29 at 3:24 PM, Leadwing said:

The original codes are with Glenn.  

Here's the codes:

P1704 - clutch system fault

P2413 - steering wheel gear shift

P1918 - tranny selector lever

P2414 - coupling motor

The codes were cleared 3 days ago. The ''steering wheel gear shift" is not relevant.

It would be interesting to see what codes are there now.

I'm thing that the clutch is the culprit.

UPDATE!!  ........

While out and about a few days ago, after nearly a week of trouble-free motoring, it happened again!

Making my way to Uncle Glenn's shop (normally a 20 minute drive from where I was), it did the "stall, cough, choke, wheeze, bang!" thing again. This time, it took almost an hour to navigate my way through traffic with my very sick smartie. 

The problem seems to have been a faulty actuator.  It was replaced with a new one and so far (fingers crossed) it is working as it should.

The issue seems to be gone (Oh happy day)

Many thanks to Uncle Glenn and his persistence in searching and diagnosing the problem and solving it.

1 person likes this