Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe

Where to get a spare key cut for smart car no dealers round here can do it

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Do a google search for an automotive locksmith in your area and see if they can cut the new key of your old one.  A local mechanic that specializes in Mercedes cars can probably teach your car to accept the new remote. 

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

When my fob got damaged, I ordered a new Smart key on ebay, which came with the proper fob.  Any locksmith or hardware store  can grind a new one in two minutes from the blank. Cost me $2 for the cut.  Maybe $10 for the key.  I had to switch my fob internals over to the new one of course too. 

Now I have an extra steel key to open the trunk or start the car.  Won't open the doors of course.

Edited by inno

go to a locksmith

most big box types stores wont cut a key unless it was purchased from them

then look up programming for whatever car you have,,,some will need dealer or expensive diagnostic equipment to program the electronics...some will not ..it depends what car you have

My little neighbourhood Home Hardware did mine.  They even reduced the price because I brought in the blank. 

They did not have a blank that would work, so lucky I had bought one in advance.

Edited by inno

On 2017-07-31 at 2:16 PM, Nigel said:

Do a google search for an automotive locksmith in your area and see if they can cut the new key of your old one.  A local mechanic that specializes in Mercedes cars can probably teach your car to accept the new remote. 

Nigel

This worked for me with some hiccups. Found a locksmith that was able to cut the key and program it. I bought the blank off EBay but made sure the electronics were OEM