MikeP

Help: Install of Cruise Control killed 2007 450CDI.

15 posts in this topic

I am in Canada and have the Canadian version. I installed an aftermarket Smart Madness DIY Cruise Control, supposedly for the 2007 450 CDI Diesel Pulse Smart Car. ItI didn't work so I called for help. They suggested that I swap the wiper and speedo wires onto their 'custom computer' board. Still didn't work so I removed ALL of the plug-ins, including the wiper stalk, and restored to original.

Here's what I get.

When ignition key is turned on I get the centre console square illuminated, but NO engine lights, no gear indicator, nor mileage, nor temperature, nor fuel level indicators. All other functions, such as wipers, door locks, lights, radio, seem to work.  The engine will not start but there is a low whine (Not the starter motor) for a while, then stops. The OBDII meter indicates P0600 which generically means Serial Communications Link Malfunction.

I've checked all the fuses that seem to be part of the circuits that seem to be pertinent but all were OK.

I've made an appointment with Mercedes for next week and have loan of a suitable trailer to get it there but wonder what other things to try.

While I think it unlikely, I 'might' have broken, pinched, loosened, etc, a wire or connection, but I was working only with the main plug on the speedometer console, the smaller green connector and the accelerator connector.

Any ideas appreciated.

Mike .....>

Mike, I'm sure others with chime in with more useful solutions to your issue.  In the meantime, a 450 CDI is diesel ..... only brought into Canada in the 2005 and 2006 versions. Are you sure your car is a 2007? ..

I see you are in Ontario.  Roughly where?  Ottawa, Toronto, Windsor, Boonies or ... ?  (This can help if there is someone in your area who could do a hands-on assist)

It's best, with the 450, to use only OE cruise control.  Eddy can do it in Vancouver, and Glenn can do it in London Ontario.

I guess it is a misterdotcom cruise control. Very quick and easy to install if one is sufficiently Smart and ones head is correctly screwed on. 

Leadwing is correct. It is a 2006 and has only 44,000 km on it. Yes, it was a misterdotcom cruise control and it was installed carefully by myself, who has had a LOT of electronic experience. BUT, either I did make an error, or the control box supplied is defective. I can live without the Cruise Control, but hate it that something else was affected. Is there another fuse I don't know about?

Mike .....>

MDC cruise was notorious for its poor quality control, a lot of new units were defective right out of the box.

My mdc cruise control worked first time and still does after 15 years of service. 

I am located near Penetanguishene, North of Barrie. I will be going to the Mercedes Dealer just S of Barrie, unless I come up with a fix.  Maybe I'll take apart the accelerator again and spray some Caig DEOX5 on the connector there. It seems that I had several slightly different conditions when I reconnected it, and, as mentioned, it is the one connector that is in a dirty part of the vehicle. For a while, it did start with no display and when I pushed the accelerator, it reved, but would not move even when gears were selected. It doesn't start now. However, I still feel that some safety shutdown or unknown fuse operated.

The 'control box' did NOT have 2 of the 3 small identical sockets identified nor was there a polarity indicated on the end big connector. The unit started flashing Amber when I turned on the ignition, an indication not identified in the troubleshooting guide. Flashing Red indicated a no CAN connection, also not explained. Until I had the covers off and half into the install did I see that the instruction pictures didn't match my vehicle at all - no White connector on the Speedometer, and the Control Board didn't look anything like the one on the PDF Install Guide. I did phone the Support Line and followed their verbal instructions and I matched them before powering up. I waited the 30 seconds for 'synchronizing' but no joy. 

Disappointment for sure!

Mike .....>

Yeah my dealer in Victoria activated cruise control with a TAN.

If you weren't an ocean away I would be there in a flash, as I'm sure Mike would!

If you ever decide to travel to Canada I will offer to put you up and show you parts of this beautiful country.

In fact I'm sure I could place a smart car at your disposal.

Cheers mate!

NWell, the DEAD problem was solved. I put the Smart on a trailer and took it to Glenn - 290km away. On back roads that was 4 3/4 hours. After head scratching and checking connections, Glenn found that a main wire in the speedo hub connector wasn't making good contact. It was a small German connector and the wires must have had some corrosion in the connector. Cleaning spray and good reseating solved that problem.

Now the Cruise Control never did work and none of the older spare boards Glenn had would so I am still out of luck there. Glenn then lubed and adjusted the clutch system, fixed some potential hose problems, replaced 2 rear bulbs and gave some really good advice on potential future problems. The A/C has a design problem that could cause water to leak into the passenger front section. We 'fixed' that and now I 'shouldn't' have water under the front foam beside the battery.

While not the total items I was hoping for, I am pleased that the car is running properly again. It does appear that in this car, even with low mileage, corrosion of electrical connections happen and this can be a source of problems. 

1 person likes this

WELL - It happened AGAIN! I received a replacement for the defective cruise control from AutoMadness and decided to try it again. When I turned on the key, the SAME failure occurred! Apparently the wire that we thought was the problem WASN'T! I again get a blank display console - the backlight for the center fuel, temp, Kms comes on but no info or lights for the engine status. The OBDII says P0600 and P0220 which is Serial Com Link Failure and a throttle error. I wiggled and sprayed the 3 wire connecter in the console and reconnected the leads to the Tach and the main plug-in multiwire connector.

I've removed the add-ons and restored it ALL to normal. I tried resetting the system with the brake pedal down for 30 seconds with ignition on before trying to start. It doesn't start but will if I turn off and push a button on the keyfob. Apparently the Immobilizer gets set. However, while I can rev the engine, it will not go into gear or actually move. The Tach doesn't read anything but the clock runs. It really looks like the serial com link failure is to the console.

I'd like to disconnect and reconnect the 3 wire connector (Yellow-Green-Brown) but can't see how it comes apart. As mentioned, I really believe that there is some minor corrosion somewhere in one of the connectors.

When I get this guy working again, I'll forget about a Cruise Control.

I'm bummed!

Mike ......>

OK, if anyone is still following this 'adventure', I will let you know how it went.

I, again, trailered my 'Smart', read 'STUPID' Car down to Glen in London (320 km) to fix it.

It was pretty close to Lunch Time when the car was detrailered  and in the shop. So Glen, Nancy (my wife) and I went to gas up and have lunch at a Soup Non-Nazi restaurant  which had 20 or so types of soups and sandwiches a low prices. Nice lunch.

Glen then connected his computer and there were errors on the computer and my Console was still blank.  He the tried ALL the connections I had made and there were errors coming up. He verified that I had connected the throttle pedal correctly, but broke the connecter and re-made the connection.

SUDDENLY - all was well.       What the Hey? I had sprayed that connector with Craig Labs D5 Deoxid before I reconnected it after installing the MDC Cruise Control and again when restoing to Normal. Anyway, it seemed that all appeared to be working properly again.

However, in restarting the engine while the battery had been depleted for a while, the belts squealed. I had Glen check the belts and, sure enough, the alternator belt was slipping. On further checking, the belt was the wrong width and was incorrect. We replaced the belt - actually requiring the 3 of us - Nancy to hold the light, Me to turn the motor, and Glen to position the belts.

I really doubt that any service from MB Barrie would have solved these problems.

Glen is the best!

Mike 

2 people like this

5 hours ago, MikeP said:

Glen is the best!

Mike

Yes, Glenn is definitely "The Smart Whisperer". Glad to hear it all worked out. Also glad to hear you visited our local Soup "Hot Spot".