Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheapohubby

Overactive traction control/ESP?

4 posts in this topic

Has anybody had the traction control/ESP trigger out of the blue, and lock the brakes?  I think it typically happens when taking a curve.  Even on dry pavement.  The brakes will come on by themselves, completely locking the wheels for a second or two.  After that couple of seconds of screeching tires, the brakes will release and the car will continue on it's merry way.

It happens occasionally on our blue smartie.  I don't recall it ever happening on the black one, so it might be a persistent issue with the blue one.

The traction control indicator seems to be stable and off; so I think the rings are okay.

I've tried swapping the back wheels, and it still seems to do it.  Haven't tried swapping fronts yet.

One potential clue; I think the front wheels are substantially out of alignment with a significant toe-out.  The tires that are on there now have prematurely worn out on the inside.  Do you think that could be connected?

I heard that happened to someone who had a broken front spring.

On 8/8/2017 at 0:12 AM, smart142 said:

I heard that happened to someone who had a broken front spring.

The abnormal tire wear?  Or the brakes locking up?  Because the springs (and struts) are both brand new.

Edited by cheapohubby

Check the TC rings on all of the wheels. I'm not sure exactly what they're called but they look like gears on the inside near where the axle meets the backing plate of the brake. The TC sensor uses them to check the speed of each wheel. Sometimes they split and slide on the axle. This will trigger the TC (traction control). Sometimes you can glue them back and they'll work for a while.