Poolie67

Electrical Problem?

9 posts in this topic

I have had my 2005 Pulse Smart Car for a couple of years now. I am really disappointed in my purchase because it's been off the road longer that on it. My latest problem is it won't start. I put the key in and all eight dash lights come on and everything in the display flashes with the addition of a spanner and one line in the center of the display, and that's it. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. 

I think that's likely chafed wiring near the intercooler scoop.  If so, it is an easy do it yourself fix.  Even a dealer should charge no more than $200 for that.

The last big problem a bit more than a year ago was breaks in the wiring harness, It was fixed, perhaps it's come undone. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but where do I find the intercooler scoop? As for the dealer cost....you don't know our one and only dealer. It'll cost me that to look at it never mind repair it

Hubby put a charger on the battery, that gave me a bit more power. However, all's well until the picture of the key shows up, I turn off and press the button but turning the key back all the way does not start the engine, the picture of the key shows up again.

When you press the unlock on the key do the doors unlock?  If not maybe the battery in the fob is dead.  Try the other fob if you have one.  I am one of the few people that had a fob stop working for no apparent reason.

Nigel

Keys may have decoded and you will pretty much need the dealer to recode them.  If the keys run out of juice then the key loses its code.  The intercooler scoop is under the car at the back, left side just ahead of the engine.  Wiring that gets chafed is in that area.  The intercooler is probably leaking oil too, most of them do as the cars age....

Hi Nigel and Mike T, one of the key fobs will lock and unlock the doors, the other one managed to lock but would not unlock. Neither will start the car. I had actually changed the battery in the one that is locking & unlocking because I found one in the manuals envelope. It's original to the car so I'm not sure it's actually any better. I think I may have to have my car towed into town. I'm not sure Kia will have any idea what to do but I don't have an alternative. Not only is the SmartCar dealer disgustingly expensive but they are on strike right now! I'll go out and check the scoop after I've researched what I'm looking for and check it out.....just in case.

Managed to get under car to check but could not identify the scoop, afraid I'll have to get a tow to town. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.

The scoop is probably gone.  Glenn has been known to recycle 4 litre oil jugs and turning them into replacement scoops. We seem to lose them in the winter snow.

Nigel