Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

Coast to coast - Canada's 150th!

19 posts in this topic

In Feb my wife Liz and I travelled to St. Johns Newfoundland in an 05 smart and of course went to Cape Spear the eastern most point of North America., story here....

Well, on Saturday we are going to hit the road again and will make our way to the west coast. But this time it won't be in a smart car because my eldest daughter is joining us and we'll be pulling a pop up camper. 

Mind you  8 years ago I made the trip to BC with my youngest daughter in a smart car.....

This time we will be driving a 1986 Toyota Landcruiser. Wish us luck!

I've owned the Lancruiser since 1989 and have worked on it for the past 4 years. It has new brakes, front and back, brake lines were replaced, alternator rebuilt, new tires, slave and master clutch done and newer batteries.

It's a 6 cyl diesel that has 481,000kms. The rings and head were done 60,000 kms ago.

A basic heavy duty truck - no AC, standard 5 speed, and power nothing! Slow, powerful, and reliable describes it!

An adventure taking it that far for sure!

Stay tuned and I'll keep you updated!

2 people like this

Have a great trip Glenn.  We will be about a week and a half behind you but only going as far west as Kelowna BC.

Nigel

Maybe think about a chase vehicle.  Have Liz and your daughter follow behind in a Smart car.

That way you'll have a way to get parts for the Land Crusher when needed.

Just kidding, of course.  I'm envious of your trip.

I drove from London out west twice, in different Smarts, logging 10,000+Km both trips (un-mapped one trip, one way).

Canadian route west and northern U.S. route back would be my recommendation, with various mountain pass routes.

I posted both trips, and was able to meet quite a few nice Smart car owners along the way.

South from central BC to Idaho and Glacier National Park you'll find the Road to the Sky (I think that's the name).  This was recommended to me by everyone as an unspeakably beautiful and memorable drive.  Unfortunately I went thru mid-June and hwy was snow bound and still closed from previous winter.  It's still on my bucket list.

Say hi to MikeT for me.  He has pictures of the 4 x Canada1 cars together in Vancouver when I was out there a few years ago.  It was like a family reunion.

I'd love to be setting out on another voyage to the wet coast.  Maybe I'll become your chase car.

Keep an eye on your mirrors.

Good luck and happy motoring. 

Enjoy the drive.

UPDATE on Liz & Glenn's trip.

Got a text message from Glenn last night and as of 5:40pm EDST, they had made it to Saskatchewan.

The message was simply this .. "Hi! We have made it into Sask.  Have not seen a computer since Sun!!  Having a great trip!!"

I probably didn't need to encourage them to "take lots of pictures" but I did anyway.  I was assured that they will.

2 people like this

It took us 8 days but we got to our destination!!!!

We left London and went Tobermory to Manitoulin island. Had stops in Lake superior park, Kakabeka falls, and a night with friends in Winnepeg.

Then camped at Buffalo pound in Sask, Waterton Lake in Alberta, and Hoodoo park near near Golden BC.

Yesterday drove to my daughters place in Surrey.

The old Landcruiser struggled on the long inclines and was slowed down like a transport, but Buster, as we call him did not let us down!!

The weather has been great and we've seen so much!! An experience for sure!

Saw 2 smarts in SW Alberta and that's about it - rare little beasts!!

2 people like this

and here's some pics of the journey.....

P1040481.JPG

P1040482.JPG

P1040489.JPG

P1040493.JPG

P1040494.JPG

P1040499.JPG

P1040509.JPG

P1040517.JPG

and more from the prairies to BC.....

P1040520.JPG

P1040535.JPG

P1040538.JPG

P1040550.JPG

DSC_0562.JPG

P1040562.JPG

P1040550.JPG

P1040571.JPG

P1040576.JPG

P1040587.JPG

We got off to an ominous start - driving out of London a guy pulled up beside us and said there was a bulge on the trailer tire - inner aspect.

So, not 15 mins out we pull over and changed the tire. The Landcruiser had all the necessary tools but had never been used - they were then.

The next day in Espanola coming off Manitoulin island we stopped at a CT and picked up a spare and off we went.

Two days later just starting to roll out of Winnepeg  the spare blew that I had put on. 

It should be noted that last fall I had all the hubs changed to 5 bolt with new bearings and 3 new tires. So now one of these tires has a bulge the size of my fist and one was shredded. Off we go to Portage but they don't have any of the correct wheels in stock. Nearest is in Brandon about 100kms away.

This is when it gets bad - the last of the 3 ''new'' tires blows. So, the decision is made to put on the bulge tire and limp the remaining way to Brandon. Kept the speed to 60-70 km/h to keep it from overheating.

That worked and we bought 2 new wheels from the CT in Brandon.

When I took off the ''bulge'' tire, lo and behold the bulge was gone - weird - fixed itself????

3 tire changes that day, but all told it was only a 2 hr delay and a little hit on the pocket book.

The CT trailer wheels have got us to the coast, keeping our fingers crossed.

The only other issue was coming out of Kamloops. It was hot out - 35c - and on a long upward incline we had to gear down from 5th to 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd, old Buster was working hard and the temp gauge was rising all the time. Very close to the top he was getting too close to that red mark so we pulled over and let him cool off.

Worked out as we got to Surrey with no further incidents.

Yesterday Buster was treated to an oil change and a check over and now needs a good cleaning to get 8 days of road grime off him.

My youngest daughter wants to join us on the trip back to Banff, Jasper, and Edmonton and will fly home from there.

Interior BC is hot, 35c, the next few days so there is a risk of fire. We'll keep an eye on that.

Looking forward to getting back to the mountains where it cools down nicely overnight.

All in all having an AWESOME time!

1 person likes this

I can see the pricing of everything at 'Uncle Glenn's' will be going up when you return.

Someone's got to pay for all those new tires ;)

Keep the shiny side up and enjoy the rest of the adventure.

And try to avoid big hills.

Thanks for the offer. Made it to Edmonton last night and staying with my nephew.

Spent 3 days in Langley visiting my daughter, did the sea to sky tram way and some wineries.

She joined us on the journey to Edmonton. We had a stop in Kelowna to visit more relatives and then 2 nights in Jasper.

The Banff to Jasper road is AWESOME, but my favourite is the Jasper sky tram to Whistlers mountain!!!!

It is so serene on top of the mountain!!!

Will post pictures later!!!

I'm so happy that Buster got us through the mountains and we're now on the road home!!

He had the hardest hauls in the Okanogans around Kamloops and Kelowna.

1 person likes this

Here's some pics of our Jasper campsite and some from Whistlers Mountain....

P1040653.JPG

P1040661.JPG

P1040669.JPG

P1040662.JPG

P1040666.JPG

P1040682.JPG

1 person likes this

Yes, we had awesome weather. Only rain we had was in the night when we were camping at Kakabeka Falls on the way out.

In the morning it had stopped and it made packing up easy.

Mind you we had smoke a number of times in BC!

Here's some pics from the prairies. Last week we stayed at Riding Mountain National park and we ran into someone I knew - it was Nigel who is a member here. And he brought his smart with him - see the pic of it riding on his Volvo!!  What are the odds of meeting like that in the middle of the country so far from home???? We stayed up late that night around the camp fire. That was nice because fires are banned in BC  and parts of Alberta.

P1040695.JPG

P1040699.JPG

P1040703.JPG

P1040706.JPG

P1040709.JPG

P1040715.JPG

P1040716.JPG

P1040717.JPG

P1040728.JPG

Next to Banff - Jasper our next favourite spot was the north shore of Lake Superior - we camped for 6 days there - Rainbow Falls, Neys, and Pancake Bay....

P1040745.JPG

P1040744.JPG

P1040757.JPG

P1040766.JPG

P1040762.JPG

P1040774.JPG

P1040764.JPG

P1040767.JPG

P1040794.JPG

P1040821.JPG

P1040828.JPG

P1040831.JPG

P1040842.JPG

Glenn's pictures and comments reinforce my thoughts and opinion.....

Why travel the world for little samples of countries when you can't see all of the beauty of our Canada in a lifetime?

Just my opinion, not hijacking Glenn's thread.

If anyone disagrees or wants to start a discussion, please start a new thread.

But remember, I'm right.😜

Bills right, our 26 day journey only scratched the surface! There were so many places that we would we would have liked to stayed longer!!!

Our group enjoyed the great outdoors and passed on the cities although we did stay with family in Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton, and Sudbury and friends on the outskirts of Winnepeg and on Manitoulin Island.

17 nights were spent camping - Agawa, Kakabeka, Buffalo Pound, Waterton, Hoodoo,Jasper,Lanigan, Riding Mountain,Caliper Lake, Rainbow Falls, Neys, and Pancake bay. Total cost for the camping permits was $505

$1735 was spent on food and restaurants

Old Buster travelled 10,700 kms and used 1307 l's of fuel at a cost $1504.   That works out to 12.9l/100kms or 22mpg - not bad considering he weighs close to 6000lbs and is hauling a loaded trailer and 3 adults and gear.

All told the 26 day vacation cost $4160 for 3 people, I'm very pleased and it leaves us with a lifetime of memories.

In fact my daughter has a new ipad and took over 11,000 pictures. That's right 11,000 - she did enjoy the trip!!!!

We all LOVE CANADA!!!!!!

2 people like this

Maybe Glenn can twist his daughter's arm into sharing some of those other relevant photos.  Hint, Hint :winkgrin:

“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think it's easier to "carry it with us" if it's not that far away, or for a lucky few, if you're right in the middle of it.

I agree with Glenn.  I'd like a little chalet somewhere between Banff and Jasper... Or an apartment in old Montreal... A cottage on a Muskoka lake... a rich girlfriend in Whistler.  Almost anywhere in this beautiful country is memorable.  I'd travel its length and breadth starting tomorrow, given the chance.  I've done so several times, but I'd do it again, and again.  I can't get enough of our country.... except Toronto.  Sorry, I was borne there but I've had a snoot full there over the past 40+ years, working there and working from there (oh,oh... I can hear fists clenching all over the GTA).  Not meant as a put-down, but if they had a few snow-capped mountains in the distance and a lake you couldn't walk on, I'd have a different opinion.

Here I go hijacking Glenn's thread again.  Sorry.

Im with Leadwing above, hoping to see more photos.

1 person likes this