jojeparent

What is your ED year and odometer reading Today

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a 2008 Smart and looking to buy a ED 2014.  Just wandering how satisfy you are with you ED and what is the year and odo reading as for today.  All the used i found was approx 40k km and just wandering if the ED is good for another 5yrs and 40k.

We have a 2014 ED.   Leased it for 39 months, bought out the lease.   Coming up on 50k km.

We've had a two issues repaired under warranty 

1. Leaking differential fluid.   Semi common problem early on.   Its been fine for the past 3 years
  2. Replaced gasket in the coolant pump this past spring.  Noticed this when looking in the motor bay.  afaik, no issues. 

For winter feet warming I installed a seat heater kit under the OEM rubber mats.   One pad left, one right.   Highly recommended for winter operation.

The car saves us about $2000 a year in gasoline relative to what we'd have been spending with our Mazda.

I have a 2016 with 21,707 km. No problems at all. I have 12 months left on the lease and would look forward to the faster charger in the new model, otherwise I would consider buying it at the end of the lease.

2014 ED with 32,000 KMs on it. No issues so far, except for one delayed start on a very cold day. Great little car if it fits your driving patterns.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2013 Smart ED in Ontario.   Paid $19200 on the road.   Trade in quote on a new 453 ED is $8500.   

Car has 25000 km in 4 years.   Perfect.   Total unplanned maintenance = $3 for a rear tail light bulb.   

Did a single service appointment last year (only service car has ever seen) = $300 for brake fluid flush and battery check.

Battery report showed 1% or less capacity loss.

Smart really engineered the car to last, I drive the heck out of the car, full acceleration and hard braking, and I still have 75% pads left.

I want something new, and have a deposit on a 2017 453 ED waiting in Halifax to get to Toronto, hopefully soon!

Edited by SmartElectric

I have a 2016 with 19,000 kms in 2 years on a 3 year lease. No issues!

It is the go to vehicle in our family unless we are going out of the city.

Considering getting a 453 when the lease is up.

2014 ED with 46,000 kms and no issues except flakey radio. It's leased and going back to MB in 2 weeks. It will be missed. We replaced it with a used 2012 Leaf because MB would not extend the lease until the new models arrived.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2014, 20,000km

I bought mine used last year for $15,000 only 5,000km on the dash at the time.

Bunch of stuff needed to be fixed this last year...
Leaking differential fluid.

Replaced the passenger side speaker.
Replaced the cabin and ac fans

The car had some electrical issues about 8000km in, but they cleared that up by replacing the motor controller or something. (The dealership I took it too wouldn't give me any paperwork on what work was done to the car, I use a different dealership because of this)

Overall there's been a number of problems for my car, but it was all fixed under warranty so I'm not mad or anything. It makes me a little worried for when my warranty runs out...

Edited by t9999clint
1 person likes this

2014, 40,714 km. (You can check the odometer reading via the web app. :D)

Three year lease, and it goes back on Monday. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of my time with this car. In stark contrast to my 450 diesel coupe, I have not replaced a single bulb on this one in three years. :D 

I had a funny grinding sound coming from the gearbox/differential last year, and it was replaced under warranty. (What exactly was replaced was a mystery to me... M-B didn't actually tell me, but it's all fixed.)

The Lear EVSE (aka the "charger") included with the car also died early this year, and was also replaced under warranty, no questions asked.

Other than that, it's been 100% trouble free. 

I'm only turning it in because I have a plethora of transportation options available to me (commuter rail and subway a short walk away, buses at my doorstep, bike sharing and car sharing services all in the neighbourhood, and a bicycle in my basement), so it makes no sense right now for me to keep paying for a car and insurance that I'm not using every day. I'll be tracking my usage of other transportation to see how it shakes out, but at the very least, I'm putting $200 back in my pocket every month.

If I were to get another car, it would almost certainly be electric, and I would very likely be looking at leasing again. Things are changing so quickly in the world of electric mobility that it doesn't seem sensible to buy into technology that will be improved on massively by the time the vehicle is paid off. 

2 people like this

2014 ED in Quebec with 53,500km.  No problems with the electric drive itself.  Faulty brake switch bricked the car last winter requiring a tow.  Replaced a rear ABS sensor when traction control failed in a snow-storm.  Front brakes seized due to lack of use/grease on the pad carriers.  Recently had the lexan roof replaced due to cracks letting water in when the car sat in the rain, but nothing came in during driving.  Front right daytime LED running light replaced due to condensation in the housing burning out one of the four LED bulbs.  All corrected under warranty.  Will take in next year just before warranty expires.  Regular annual service quite reasonable, I always get the interior cleaned and have always been given a very expensive loaner each time.  Will need new rear tires next spring, the tread has worn out on the outer sides, but full depth in the middle.  Will raise the inflation pressure, but winter tires are not wearing like this at all.  Great little car, I intend to keep it until the battery loses capacity or something really expensive fails. 

3 people like this