Paul

front wheel hub bolt

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, just replacing a front hub due to failed bearings. The question I have is whether the centre bolt is standard or reverse thread? I know it's torqued tight, but don't want to strip it off by going the wrong way.

Oh yeah, it's the left side. On some vehicles I have seen reversed threads on similar bolts, so I'm just wondering...

i recommend carefully knocking out one of the inner races and adding grease 

new ones come pretty dry

i just did mine a few weeks ago

the ones from germanparts are just a good quality bearing with no hardware...the cheap ones from rockauto are lesser quality and come with new bolt and grease cap

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

thanks guys, got it undone. Someone had really reefed it on. I did grease it up before installing the new one, and will probably look up the bearing numbers and rebuild the old one. Strangely enough, the two bolts holding the caliper carrier in place were not stock. One was a 13 mm head, and the other was a 5 sided nut that I had to use vicegrips on to remove. In 40 years of wrenching, that's something I've never come across. I think I'll get the proper ones and replace them

thiose are the proper ones

five sided on the lower and hex on the upper

i dont remember a nut...im fairly certain both are bolts

dont waste time looking up bearing numbers...the hub is the outer race and is not replaceable 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

You can make one good bearing out of two bad and I have done that several times successfully.  Regrettably my photos from this clever surgery do no longer show after the Photobucket fiasco.