TrishM

Just put a deposit down on a 2018 smart ED :)

4 posts in this topic

A bit about me:  I bought my first smart in Sep 2008 (found tracking and lots of information about smarts here back in 2008), and I love her.  Buttercup (yellow/silver) currently only has 80,225km on her and the only issues I've ever had with her is the normal stuff for the age of the car:  brakes, tires and muffler/exhaust.  She has been an amazing car and I love driving her.

When I first got her, I leased her - with the intention that I would upgrade to the first electric smart was to bring out, which was planned back then to be in 2011.  So three year lease and yep, no electric in 2011 so I bought the lease out.  When the EDs did come out, I test drove one and fell in love, but I was living in a condo by then with no charging stations.

Today I live in a house and put a deposit down on a completely orange smart ED (panels and tridion).  I think his* name will be Cheeto.

So some notes:  2017 EDs can no longer be ordered, production has been frozen; the dealerships appear to have all ordered 1-2 a piece with what options/colours they think would sell and they should be in the dealerships shortly.  2018 production starts in October but they appear to be standardized colours with only a few dealerships that have 'change rights".  My dealership, trying to get me a car sooner than later, asked another dealer for their rights, but they wouldn't hand them over lol.  But they did find a production slot open in November that will allow me to the order the car as I want it, orange on orange :)  I should receive Cheeto in the Jan/Feb.

The dealers don't yet have the pricing on the 2018s but they don't anticipate any significant increase or option changes.

Also to note, on a lease, the dealership does not apply for the Ontario Electric Vehicle Incentive Program rebate, they will help you do it.  Something about people at the start of the program finding a loophole that costs Mercedes money (leasee selling before the 3 years were over and MB getting dinged for $$ not used on the Incentive)?  And yes, I have decided to lease, not buy.  I can get Cheeto on a 3 year lease (to get the full $13,000) with $2K down for $150 a month taxes in.  Take into account the $60 a month I will save on gas (now the lease cost is $90) plus $20 a month for electricity and the lease is more like $110 a month.  You cannot get a brand new car, fully loaded anywhere for that.  Also, I have read that the coming years will see battery ranges increasing, etc so I want to see what 2021 brings. 

* Holy beefy car!  The trunk is bigger, it appears wider and just looks 'beefy' compared to my 2008.  I was thinking as I was driving away after signing the papers, that I'm pretty sure thatI  sat lower in the 453 ICE car they had in the showroom...I may need to add the seat height option to my car (I'm short, 5'0"), when we finalize my colour/options in November

Orange.png

Edited by TrishM
3 people like this

Congratulations on your choice to get an electric.  I love the name you have chosen .... Are you planning on keeping Buttercup as well?

7 hours ago, Leadwing said:

.... Are you planning on keeping Buttercup as well?

No, I already have a few leads of people who are interested in her and the dealer is as well since they have all her service records, etc.

Congratulations! I just turned mine in at the end of the lease, and fully enjoyed having that car.

I suspect whomever was advising you about the lease and the rebates may have been misinformed. Mercedes-Benz Canada remains the owner of the car under the lease, so they HAVE TO apply for the rebate, unless the government changed the rules.

That's how they're able to knock so much off the price of the car to get the lease rate down close to $100/month. That's the way it works. Otherwise, the lease payments are based on the FULL value of the car, and the rebate is paid directly to you in one lump sum.

Edited by darren