airbak2

Hard start cold engine Smart 06 CDI

33 posts in this topic

Well i would think not as well.. i am confused ??  Honest it bottoms out and when i push it depresses and pushes back like a pen does when you press it up and down but not a whole lot... and its the same on all cylinders...   i was searching for a schematic of the cylinder but i hav had no luck...   my smart is from canada. Not sure it that makes a difference at all .. where r u from loose ?

Don’t poke anything into combustion chamber ad you can easily damage injector tips. 

7F549ACA-BF07-4B09-B929-D5411903AE03.jpeg

Great pick loose..  the big hole in the middle would be the injector right ?  The smaller hole is the glow plug. You can kind of see the angle by the hole I guess.  Would it be pointing at the intake valve side i would think ?   Wonder how much of the glow plug actually goes into the cylinder ?  Cant be much ?   With some reaming the glow plugs bore and Tolsens say don’t stick anything down into the combustion chamber not sure what to think anymore :(

injector injects in the center

dont ream any further than the actual length of a glowplug

intake valve is usually the larger one

Tolsens advice is always spot on...but sometimes details are lost in translation

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Airback2, did you ever find the issue to this cold start issue?  My 06 cdi is doing the same thing.  Stumbles and smokes like a demon on cold start, but runs like a champ when warm.

Hello..

No i have not fixed this. Mercedes said it has low compression one cylinder.  White smoke on start is weak exhaust valve.   So the valve needs to be replaced.  I have been driving it when its warm up hear. I have to plug it in at about -1C. Or it real hard to start... I really cycle the glow plugs before i try to start it.. like 10 times.. 150K on it now.. need shocks all round now....

thx

Airbak2