Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

smart Japan

3 posts in this topic

Sandy T and I are in Japan visiting with our son Sean who has an 8 month gig at Tokyo University of Marine Sciences and Technology, doing oceanographic data processing.  So far, we've been in Tokyo for three nights and Kyoto for two (third one is just beginning).  Aside from the fact that we like this country a lot, I have had an eye out for foreign cars.

By far the most common are the Germans: dozens and dozens of Mercedes-Benz, VW, BMW, Porsche, followed by MINI.  smart is very rare: I have only seen three, two 450s (both non-KEI versions) and one 451 electric.  We've seen 4 Peugeots, about 6 Citroëns.  Alfa-Romeo is a bit more common than those French brands.  We've only seen two US cars.  An Escalade in Tokyo and a stretch limo here in Kyoto.

We would highly recommend a visit to Japan.  It wasn't on our travel radar until Sean got his posting here but now we've been, it's great!  We have 8 more nights here before coming home. Monday we head for Takayama in the Japan Alps, where I will probably rent a locally made car.  Up to now we've been on local trains, Shinkansen high speed trains and buses.

I loved Japan and visited 30 years ago. Even then it was very expensive. Has that changed?

It costs about the same as travel in Canada.  Plus or minus.....