smartnhappy

Thoughts for the Day

451 posts in this topic

Quote of the Day: “Sooner or later, those who win are those who think they can.” ~Paul Tournier

"Don’t throw away the old bucket until you are sure the new one holds water." ~ Leadwing

Quote of the Day: “Technology, like art, is a soaring exercise of the human imagination.” ~Daniel Bell

Quote of the Day: “Sharing is good, and with digital technology, sharing is easy.” ~Richard Stallman

Quote of the Day: “Good, bad or indifferent, if you are not investing in new technology, you are going to be left behind.” ~Phillip Green

...so let's all invest in bad technology!  Yay! :D

GPS was a so-so consumer technology around 1980.  It was deemed “close enough for public use”.

Bill Clinton signed a law in 2000 giving consumer GPS the accuracy of the U.S. military system, started in the 60’s.

The technology too hold and took off.  It continues to be improved to this day.

The first cell phone was built into the trunk of a car, it was so big.  No one thought it had much application.

Theres a quote in previous postings here that IBM didn’t think the personal computer would succeed.

Sony’s first VCR was $1,795 in 1976, yet it kicked off a video revolution.

Sony’s first Walkman was $349, and what effects did it start in the music industry?

Sony’s first product in 1946 was an electric rice cooker.  It failed.... mostly due to war damage in cities and no rural hydro.

Sony’s first 40” plasma TV was $14,999.  Watch to see if a 55” 4K LCD TV isn’t available for $199 in the U.S. soon.

I can think of more technologies that started slowly and succeeded than bad technologies that didn’t succeed.

I think Phillip Green’s quote was meant to suggest you should climb on a bandwagon before it leaves town.

I also don’t know what era this quote was from.

To me, it certainly had more relevance in the 20th century than the 21st.

Maybe nuclear powered flying cars or phrenology clinics should be avoided as investment opportunities.  🙂

“Walk away from it until you’re stronger.  All your problems will be there when you get back, but you’ll be better able to cope.” ~ Lady Bird Johnson

Quote of the Day: “A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.” ~Henry Ford

Quote of the Day: “Technology is only meaningful when it reaches the people.” ~Pranav Mistry

Quote of the Day: “Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.” ~Winston Churchill

"The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote of the Day: “Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” ~George Orwell

Quote of the Day: “I believe things cannot make themselves impossible.” ~Stephen J. Hawking

Quote of the day: “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers.” ~Socrates

Quote of the Day: “I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days.” ~Bill Dana

Quote of the Day: “It takes less time to do a thing right, than it does to explain why you did it wrong.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Quote of the Day: "Champions keep playing until they get it right" ~ Billie Jean King

Quote of the Day: “Always be sincere, even if you don’t mean it.” ~Harry S. Truman

Quote of the Day: “True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.” ~Kurt Vonnegut