Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

smart in Japan

2 posts in this topic

Sandy and I returned to Canada on Monday after a delightful two week trip to Japan, home of the Kei car.  We were there primarily to visit our son, who is doing an 8 month stint at the Tokyo University of Marine Sciences and Technology, but we also got to Kyoto and Takayama.  It is a wonderful place, even the apparent organized chaos of Tokyo.  We rented a car in Takayama for a day to visit the Shinhotaka ropeway (Cable car, highest in Asia) and a UNESCO world heritage village.  In Kyoto, what can you say, there are too many temples to be able to visit in months, never mind three days.

I had my eyes peeled for smarts there (as well as Peugeots, which there were dozens of, including two of my favourites, the RCZ) and I think over the entire trip, I say I saw about 10 smarts.  7 or 8 of those were 450s, and none of the 450s were the skinny track Kei versions.  There was nary a Nosebear in sight.  I wonder if smart has pulled out of Japan.

I just checked and they still have a website with the fortwo and forfour on it so they are still available (but evidently not selling very well).