Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandie

Just bought a 2009 Smartcar

8 posts in this topic

Hi, Live West of Boston MA, bought a 2009 Smart Car with 64,000 miles on her.  Have a few questions  1) does everyone else think it is very sluggish in Automatic but great in shifting mode? 2) HOW ABOUT SOME SHOCK ABSORBERS, yikes that will shake your teeth when hitting bumps/road pits!!!  I am surprised that something does not break when that occurs 3) anyone tow behind a motorhome with the Smart Car?  I am going to so have a few questions.  LOVE this car when I use it in shifting mode for sure except when I hit a bump.  ALSO having trouble with the coating on the painted parts just coming off like skin peeling from sunburn, anyone else?

Welcome.

1) it should make no difference to speed/acceleration whether the car is shifted manually or not!  Any difference is likely subjective, unless your automatic shifting map is broken.

2) Shock absorbers is a technically incorrect term; what they really are is oscillation dampers for the springs.  So new or used "shock absorbers" will not make the crashing over bumps any better.

3) I am not sure about flat towing, I think the owners manual deals with it.

Welcome to the forum!!  Is your car red?  There were many issues of peeling clear coat on the 2009 model smarts delivered in red.

Hi Sandie! I just bought a 2009 as well. The shifting in automatic just needs a really gentle touch. It's best to ease into it and accelerate slowly. The car wants to get up to speed in it's own time (especially from a cold start). It can and will accelerate quickly but I always feel guilty revving it up that high. Once it gets up to 4th and 5th gear it's smooth as glass. As for the shocks, remember this is a tiny civilized little city car and not designed for bumps or potholes. They want and deserve a smooth surface but they'll be okay even over the bumps. As far as towing a motor home I couldn't say. It seems like a lot to ask of a 3 cylinder, but if any tiny car can do it I'd trust the Smart. The clearcoat does peel on some cars in hot, sunny climates. Youtube has videos on some home fix remedies I think. Panels can also be completely replaced if they get too bad (also see Youtube for panel replacement vids). 

Welcome to the club!

Just to clarify, I believe Sandie was asking about towing a smart behind a motorhome ......... not towing a motor home with it.

22 hours ago, Leadwing said:

Just to clarify, I believe Sandie was asking about towing a smart behind a motorhome ......... not towing a motor home with it.

Oh, gotcha. And knowing that I'll feel less concerned about the little Smart pulling all that weight! And I actually have seen a motorhome towing a Smart (on the very same day I bought my own Smartie, interestingly enough), so I know it can and has been done. :)