Paul

starter turning slowly

8 posts in this topic

My car had been sitting for a while, and when I tried starting it, the starter turned very slowly. So I charged the battery overnight and tried again. No change. Took the battery in to be checked and it checks out good. Fully charged again and the starter still turns slowly. Put a good boost battery on as well, and still turns slowly. Has anyone seen a starter cause this?

1 person likes this

You can free up the alternator and start your car or muck about with the starter.  I do not care what you choose.

1 hour ago, Huronlad said:

You likely need to free up the alternator.

@Paul, I know you don't see the connection here ...

but it is VERY likely the cause of your problem

Lots of threads on the subject of seized alternators.

They rust solid in very little time.

Alternator will seize in about 3 to 4 weeks if sat. 

Easy to confirm by getting under your Smart. Turn engine on its pulley bolt and you will quickly see whether alternator is seized or not. 

Use plenty of elbow grease to unseize alternator. Spray wicking oil into its windings to ease unseizing and protect from elements. 

The alternator will be seized! The engine is turning slowly because it is struggling to pull the belt around the seized alternator pulley.

Jack up right rear, remove wheel, remove shield behind shock. Ensure car is in neutral. Have someone try to start the car as you watch the pulley at the alternator - voila!

If you can't unseize the alternator contact me as I can install rebuilds for 1/2 of what the local garage will charge you.

Huron Lad, not to sound disrespectful, but I hadn't come across the alternator issue anywhere. If you don't explain why I would have to disconnect the alternator, why would I suspect it. Thanks guys for explaining. I'll have a look.