GRP151

One strap or two? (swivel trailer discussion)

46 posts in this topic

I think one strap should be enough.

Not sure how well the glass roof will hold out though?

SMARTROF.JPG

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and one more across the doors..then climb in through the window.

That should be sufficient

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

that owner needs to make himself a trailer hitch

 

.....and then a trailer?

 

or a swivel trailer with no hitch needed!

DSC001002.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What!!! Stupid swivel contraption. How dare you! This is a brilliant piece of engineering obviously way before your time.

It will never jack knife like a trailer would ,  backing up is as easy as you normally would. The size is a third of a trailer and doesn't require a $600 trailer hitch.

The cost to connect this to your vehicle is pennies on the dollar compared to a trailer hitch.Only if you have the skills. 

Also there are NO legal hitches out there for 05-06 Smarts. Sure you can make one but it won't be MTO approved. The Swivel trailer has no special hitch it connects to a stengthend tow plate at the frame ofyour smart car.

 

This video demonstrates the ease of operation.

 

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to continue this youre going to have to quote and cite that section of the highway traffic act that says a hitch has to be "MTO approved"  (preferably from Ontario law since we are both in Ontario)

 

 

keep in mind that i myself am "MTO approved" to make these judgements

 

 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

to continue this youre going to have to quote and cite that section of the highway traffic act that says a hitch has to be "MTO approved"  (preferably from Ontario law since we are both in Ontario)

 

 

keep in mind that i myself am "MTO approved" to make these judgements

 

 

Here you go:

 

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section5.4.0.shtml

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No mention of anything to do with MTO approved trailer hitches for any vehicle.  It would appear that is not a real thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im guessing he means this vague part of the handbook

 

Quote

Trailer hitch

Use a good-quality trailer hitch. The class of trailer hitch you use depends upon the gross weight of your trailer - the gross weight being the total weight of the trailer and its load. Make sure you use the right trailer hitch for the weight of your trailer. It should be securely attached to your vehicle following the manufacturer's recommendations.

The hitch-ball should be installed so that when the trailer is attached and tightened, it is level with no tilting. If the hitch pulls down the rear of your vehicle, you may need to use a load-equalizing trailer hitch. You may also be able to shift some of the load in the trailer to the rear to reduce the load on the rear of your vehicle.

In addition to a ball and hitch, be sure to use safety chains or cables strong enough to hold the trailer and load, in case the ball and hitch accidentally come apart.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

heres a headstart link to the highway traffic act

 

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900618

 

 

 

youll notice your stupid swivel contraption will fall under the definition of trailer no matter what you decide to call it

 

and youll notice there is no mention of "MTO approval" needed for hitch..just needs to pass a safety check (if transfering ownership or after getting pulled over for safety review or after an accident happens)...done by people like me

 

 

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough with the insults already!!

 

The last thread about trailers was closed due to the way it deteriorated into an on-screen shouting match.

 

Since I have seen that image in the OP on the internet for many years now, it was done as a joke back then and I can only presume it was meant as a joke this time as well.

 

As for the Quote in post #10 about trailers, this portion says it all "It should be securely attached to your vehicle following the manufacturer's recommendations."  Since smart doesn't recommend towing at all, there can be no "manufacturer's recommendations".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those using trailers may want to consult their insurers.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mike T said:

Those using trailers may want to consult their insurers.....

I've been hauling trailers with my Smart for nearly two decades and have always notified insurance company in writing.  So far none have objected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you, but everyone should do it, because in this country, insurers look for any loophole to deny a claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Leadwing said:

Enough with the insults already!!

 

The last thread about trailers was closed due to the way it deteriorated into an on-screen shouting match.

 

Since I have seen that image in the OP on the internet for many years now, it was done as a joke back then and I can only presume it was meant as a joke this time as well.

 

As for the Quote in post #10 about trailers, this portion says it all "It should be securely attached to your vehicle following the manufacturer's recommendations."  Since smart doesn't recommend towing at all, there can be no "manufacturer's recommendations".

 

Sorry to say mine is working amazing! It is not meant as a joke.I can carry a fridge, a stove or even a recliner! It tracks beautiful on the highway and I have never been stopped in the 7 months I've been using it.  (except for passerbys that have commented how brilliant it is!

Like everything in life somethings don't appeal to everyone and somethings do. Like tattoos for example.

You can either love them or hate them. I personally don't like them but its subjectionable. Just like asking someone what is the best color in the world. There is no correct answer! 

The attached photo is with a cage around the swivel trailer,which is detachable and it was for carrying boxes

my swivel.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GetSmart said:

 

i myself am "MTO approved"?????

 

What? you are a car loosenuts? I guess your name says it all!

 

So loosenuts, which one are you?

 

 

 

my avatar should clue you in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Leadwing said:

 

 

As for the Quote in post #10 about trailers, this portion says it all "It should be securely attached to your vehicle following the manufacturer's recommendations."  Since smart doesn't recommend towing at all, there can be no "manufacturer's recommendations".

 

 

"should"....that sounds like a recommendation 

 

it doesnt sound like a law

 

also that quote is from a drivers handbook..not the actual highway traffic act that is used in court

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not sure if the insult warning was directed at me but i do sincerely apologize to the trailer for calling it stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GRP151 said:

 

Sorry to say mine is working amazing! It is not meant as a joke.I can carry a fridge, a stove or even a recliner! It tracks beautiful on the highway and I have never been stopped in the 7 months I've been using it.  (except for passerbys that have commented how brilliant it is!

Like everything in life somethings don't appeal to everyone and somethings do. Like tattoos for example.

You can either love them or hate them. I personally don't like them but its subjectionable. Just like asking someone what is the best color in the world. There is no correct answer! 

The attached photo is with a cage around the swivel trailer,which is detachable and it was for carrying boxes

my swivel.png

Rear towing eyes are not sufficiently strong as never designed as towing eyes. I had my towing hitch screwed into

these and the aluminium profile around the ACME thread inserts developed  fatigue cracks in no time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this is not a good idea.  I have seen actual hitches that only use those as an attachment too, and it is not a good feeling to share roads with people driving cars like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I would like to conclude for those of you who may be interested in this idea, that you cannot utilize the existing acme tow hook threads for this application. What I did was to

remove the aluminum frame and drill through the threads with a 3/4" bit.( existing size is about 5/8") I then cut 2 stainless steel plates approximately 4" x 3/16" square with 4 holes drilled to align up with frame mounting.

Lastly I welded a SS 3/4" nut to the plate. (this requires skilled welding) with SS wire and gas flux not flux core used by do it yourselfers. I have an industrial welder for this operation.

This method is safer than attempting to use the existing tow hook threads as they are not suitable for this application.  This is not intended to promote this swivel trailer but to only share what I made and believe was and still is an ingenious idea that was first used in the late 30's over 75 years ago!

my swivel.png

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conventional trailers are better in my humble opinion. 

No way could you transport below cargo on a swivel contraption. 

The two 2 x 6 pieces of sawn timber are each 7 m long. 

 

00_D58_B5_F-2679-4_A5_C-92_EA-2_EA4_F5_C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎24 at 5:35 AM, tolsen said:

Conventional trailers are better in my humble opinion. 

No way could you transport below cargo on a swivel contraption. 

The two 2 x 6 pieces of sawn timber are each 7 m long. 

 

 

 

This looks so dangerous and definitly a traffic hazard just waiting for failure!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

    Chatbox
    You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More