Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartdriver

Intermittent P0380 Glow Plug Problem

2 posts in this topic

I had originally posted this in another older thread, but it did not appear on the front page.

For this reason I had to start a new thread.

Yesterday, I took my 2005 Cabriolet with 75,000 km on it on the highway for the first time in a long time.

After parking the car, when I restarted it, I noticed a check engine light.. A scangauge check revealed P0380 which indicates a glow plug problem. I couldn't clear the code with the scangauge.

When I started the car today (no problem starting) , the check engine light came on and the glow plug light stayed on for over a minute, but then the glow plug light went out leaving only the check engine light on.

After reading this thread I was convinced that I needed new glow plugs.

Later on in the day, I started the car, drove 30 km and when I restarted the car again both the glow plug light and the check engine light were off and everything was behaving normally. 

I was hoping that someone who had experienced a P0380 problem could comment on the possible reasons that a code such as this can possibly fix itself.

Edited by smartdriver

Is it possible that the car was simply warmer on the later starting, so the glow plugs weren't used and didn't prompt a code?

I've got the P0380 code happening as well, and the car starts fine.  Maybe a bit rough initially, but it smooths out pretty quick.  But in my case, the code seems to be permanent.  Might just be the fact that it's not very warm here; or maybe the glow plugs are in worse condition than yours.