Vman

Traction control

7 posts in this topic

Hi just got my 08 passion about 2 months ago love the lil beast and was wondering is there a way to turn the traction control off for driving in snow...I don’t want to mess my car up in anyway any help would be greatly appreciated 

thanks Vman 

mines a 450 model so i can only speak from my experience with a 450 diesel

i made an obd2 jumper a few years ago to disable the traction control and i can say ive never needed it

in fact the only time ive damaged my car in winter was when the traction control got disabled for another reason (frozen brake switch) and while leaving a stop it sent me spinning into a frozen snowbank and cracked my front fender

I had the same experience. Without the traction control and the stability program it was very easy to lose control - and because of the short wheel base it happens quickly.

Those are REAL safety features you're playing with.

I've driven hundreds of miles in a 450 in winter with no TC or ESP.  With a good set of snow tires it is very manageable.  If you are pushing the limits the electronic nannies could make the difference between staying on the road or not.

Once or twice a winter I have had to disable TC on my 451 to get out of parking lots.  Once on cleared roads I reset the system if I am going to travel out of town.

On a 451, remove fuse 11.  This cuts power to ESP control unit and you loose both ESP and ABS.  One some 451 you can also remove ESP by pressing and holding both buttons on the speedo, then turn key to position 1 and wait. If this method works on yours, the symbol in the middle of the speedo
will start to flash. Once flashing, just start the car and ESP should be off.