boostedsmart

cdi exhaust question/ other mods

6 posts in this topic

hello I am new to the forum and this is my second smart and I want to modify it of course. I have some pictures from the last smart I owned but the question is, is it better to leave the cast elbow from the turbo or directly bolt exhaust up to there. I like to make my own stuff to save cost and I'm very capable of doing it so here are some pictures from the last one. I would like to do performance injectors and a turbo in the feature on the new one. does anyone have any insight on turbos or injectors for these things

ACE2A467-F432-46B4-97A7-7B4962B900E0_zps

904C687E-D0A7-44AB-ACF2-EA66386987A7_zps

E0C01B36-9C7A-41F7-BD03-92085321891C_zps

8FE43B54-BEC4-46AD-BAFB-56568E1A883F_zps

8FE43B54-BEC4-46AD-BAFB-56568E1A883F_zps

4A1AE916-B49A-468A-8A47-57A72D3B25BD_zps

63D2D8BF-E8F3-4956-8191-FD61FC594E14_zps

7D20D6F0-644A-49EA-B36E-71DA779C1243_zps

D4CC79B7-EDC0-4B73-B023-FCAD4359387E_zps

Edited by boostedsmart
add to discription

I am not sure what you're getting at with the exhaust question (better for what?  Longevity, performance?) but you need to get on that rust problem right away!  Also, pull the plastic rear fender liners out and check the forward edge of the rear of the Tridion box section.  It's likely even more rusty there, perhaps even perforated.

16 minutes ago, Mike T said:

I am not sure what you're getting at with the exhaust question (better for what?  Longevity, performance?) but you need to get on that rust problem right away!  Also, pull the plastic rear fender liners out and check the forward edge of the rear of the Tridion box section.  It's likely even more rusty there, perhaps even perforated.

I guess I'm wondering if you need the cast elbow for more back pressure since the bend or if it really matters? that was my old car I sold it and regretted every minute of it, just bought a cabriolet diesel 

Ah OK.  Well I think that the stock bend is pretty solid and unless you will change the turbo there's no point.  They will deliver 70% more HP than stock with the tiny turbo.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, GRP151 said:

Cast manifold makes the motor quieter than if you made a custom manifold from stainless steel. Would you gain more HP? Probably not worth the time and money to find out. Your better off getting it remapped. 

I talked to Eddie today at flying tiger I'm going to have it remapped by him. I found a company to make me some injectors I was thinking like 20% over factory but Eddie didn't seem to think they would make any more power. anyone have any experience with some performance injectors? I know they are not made for power but I want to push the limits of the little thing to see what it can do.

I think boosting this thing more than the "65" HP Eddy remap is asking way too much of what is a relatively fragile engine.