Jerry

no start diesel

26 posts in this topic

ox

JerryToday 8:23 PM 

help...2006 smart cdi. cranks and catches but dies right after starting I cycle key again and does same thing. great compression and lots of fuel. had injectors checked and there fine as well anyone help this new smart car owner in kitchener ontario canada

Yes alternator is fine. I had all injectors tested they are fine I took valve cover gasket off and everything is fine.  I pulled all glow plugs they are all fine.  So today it started without cylinder 3's glow plug in!?!?!  I'm very frustrated!!! I know it's getting fuel but am wondering if my SAM is making cylinder 3 injector stay open!?!?  Help!!

or crank sensor...or wiring issues

seems weird to say it doesnt run and then say it runs with cyl 3 glow plug out

i have no idea what would cause that

filled with fuel would hydrolock it

wouldnt take much either ..the combustion chamber is tiny in these things

When you had valve cover off, did you confirm each valve opens by turning engine be hand?

I think a mechanical problem and neighbour mechanic no good. 

Suggest you remove valve cover. Check timing. Turn engine by hand and confirm valves do open fully and that there is no problems with followers and hydraulic tappets. 

Out of curiosity have you confirmed you have no significant restriction in the intake? Easy way to test it i sto just remove the rubber hose from the EGR to the intake manifold. 

If the EGR is full of carbon to the point of restricting too much airflow, the motor will start but as soon as it starts to draw a vacuum you lose compression and it will quit. Weird that it would run with #3 GP out though...

Anyway, something to try if you haven't already, and a very easy test.

Only remove head if there is a real reason for removing it like changing valves or leaking head gasket etc. 

Update

Pulled back assembly out. Took off chain cover and the oil pump sprocket had no teeth left.  Then took off head and head gasket was also gone.