jwight

Another 451 fire

14 posts in this topic

A Swiss woman who arrived in Ottawa in August to study English had one of the most terrifying experiences of her life on the road last week.

Aurélie Rossier, 34, was alone and heading west on Highway 417 near Bronson last Wednesday when the interior of the 2008 Smart Fortwo she was driving suddenly filled with smoke.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/fire-smart-car-investigation-1.4367105  

Doing a quick search, it looks like the only smarts that do not burn are the Mitsubishi forfour.  If my 451 in the next 3 or 4 years burnt to the ground, it would still be the best car I have owned to date. 

Hmm I posted this in News and Entertainment 20 hours ago....

This story was on the 6:00pm news on CBC radio today! Sounds pretty scary!

It sounds like they were engine fires. Thank goodness my smart has no engine!

Edited by DrZaius

One of our 451s "caught fire". The sound deadening material above the catalytic converter had delaminated and fallen onto the catalytic. It started smoldering but luckily we noticed the smoke and doused the material before it could do anything. I then removed the remaining material from the area near the catalytic. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a common cause of the fires, as I have noticed most of the 08-09 451s I've had hands on suffer from the same issue of the sound deadening material just coming apart and drooping onto the engine. Being in the engine bay, and especially the stuff located near the catalytic, you'd think they would have used something more durable or at the very least non-combustible. Maybe the later versions were updated with that, I'm not sure. Anyway I now know to keep a close eye on our other 451s for this issue. Perhaps failed flex pipes and hot exhaust gases in the engine bay make the material deteriorate? All the 451s I have had my hands on have the telltale melted rear valence from the flex pipe failing and the muffler flopping forward.

Transport Canada investigating Smart car fire on Ottawa highway

By Joe Lofaro, CBC News Posted: Oct 28, 2017 

Transport Canada said it has launched an investigation into a Smart car that burst into flames on an Ottawa roadway earlier this month and sent its driver into a panic.

Aurélie Rossier, 34, was alone and heading west on Highway 417 near Bronson Avenue on Oct. 18 when the interior of the 2008 Smart Fortwo she was driving suddenly filled with smoke. After she pulled over and called for help, the car caught fire with flames shooting into the air.

"I couldn't see the road anymore. I couldn't breathe," Rossier told CBC News in French. "To see a car burned like this, it was really crazy for me. I was really, really scared."

Witnesses reported seeing flames coming from the back of the car, which is where the Smart car engines are located. 

In an email to the CBC, the federal agency responsible for transportation said it has opened an investigation after being contacted by the car's owner. 

Government asking drivers to call tip line

The email said it is aware of two other Smart car fires — one involving a 2008 model Smart car, which was not due to a safety defect, and another one that happened in 2010, the cause of which remains undetermined, according to Transport Canada spokeswoman Annie Joannette. 

"To enable Transport Canada to investigate and identify potential vehicle safety defects, vehicle owners and insurance companies are encouraged to contact the defect investigation hotline at 1-800-333-0510, if they suspect a safety defect issue," Joannette wrote in the email. 

Rossier had been borrowing the car from a friend, Aaron Matharu, at the time of the fire. Matharu said his car is being taken to a facility in Gatineau and he's is still waiting to hear from Mercedes and his insurance company about the incident.

It's not the first time a Smart car has been investigated for catching fire. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating several unexplained fires in Smart cars.

A preliminary investigation of eight complaints of alleged engine compartment fires has so far identified 27 incidents. Authorities in the U.S. could recommend a recall of the vehicles if a safety-related defect is found. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/transport-canada-investigating-smart-car-fire-1.4376252

I wish more Fiesta owners would call TC about engine fusebox corrosion!

They're all committing suicide because they know that the jig is up ;)

One out of the US, posted on Facebook today.

2013 smart Fortwo Brabus, tried to started, lights on dashboard flicked, smoke came out, car caught on fire and exploded. It had 15,000 miles. Please help me sharing this in your car groups and clubs until I get answers, my car didn't deserve to die like that.

28164765_606909276322587_6974711759974505420_o.jpg